What's new

Buy Surface Pro 3 now or wait for 4

ScottyS

GreyFox7 is correct - far more complainers (me included) than supporters. In fact, folks who AREN'T having problems are much less likely to rove the forums than the satisfied.

In a nutshell, the SPro3 is an EXCELLENT device - not perfect (and if they don't get rid of Marvell I'm going to scream bloody murder) - but THE BEST HYBRID device going. . .
I agree despite the problems. But maybe it's a marketing ploy by Microsoft. I had the SP1 and it worked flawlessly. So I skipped SP2 and got SP3 which was a significant upgrade. Now since I have problems with this SP3 (pen button wont launch OneNote and limited WiFi connectivity at some locations at work) I'll probably upgrade to an SP4 when it's out rather than keep it and wait for SP5.

HarnessTech

Despite being on SP3 #3 with #4 on the way, I absolutely LOVE the SP3. It's Microsoft's Support policies that tick me off.

You can argue all day long that if I'm getting a replacement, then getting a refurb model is okay -- but I wholeheartedly disagree. I bought a new one, expecting it to work and, by golly, I should get a new one that works. It's painfully obvious that MS does very little to refurb the models they send back out... my first replacement still had the previous user's login in place and it was in sleep mode, logged in! I had access to all of his stuff. The second one wasn't logged in already and was indeed off, but there were still remnants of a previous user. That's really, really sad. When I sent mine in, I made sure to clean everything off and do a full reset first. Moral of the story (for MS): don't just take another return, throw it in a new box and send it to me -- if it must be a refurb, at least perform the basic tasks expected for a refurb, particularly if the problem is hardware related.

My other issue with MS support is the lack of attention. They tend to leave you hanging for weeks at a time, almost like they are stalling. I'm getting really tired of the support system.

All that said, the SP3 is a beautiful, functional device, if I can just get one that doesn't have some major flaw that an MS tech could have resolved before sending, or send another one that doesn't have those problems. Each one has had it's own separate problems that the previous one didn't have (the current one is barely able to connect to any wifi even after all the updates, multiple resets, etc.).

Anyway, I'm not giving up. I do have hope that I'll eventually get a good one and I really have no desire to replace it with any other laptop or otherwise. The SP3 is basically the device I've been waiting for for years and I just want one that works.

VickiFL

I decided to exchange my SP3 i3 for an SP3 i5 yesterday. I'll be happy with that for several years. I heard the SP4 won't even be available for purchase until sometime after mid next year anyway.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I decided to exchange my SP3 i3 for an SP3 i5 yesterday. I'll be happy with that for several years. I heard the SP4 won't even be available for purchase until sometime after mid next year anyway.
So how's that new i5, you like?

VickiFL

So how's that new i5, you like?

I like it a lot better. I kept thinking how these SP3's are not upgradable, and I didn't want my new SP3 to be outdated too quickly. Plus, storage was bugging me too, so now I feel a lot better that I have a device that will more than fit my needs, for years to come. :)

I can tell it runs faster too. It does tend to get hotter than my i3, and that was just while I was watching Netflix. I've been hearing the fan a lot too, more than I did with the i3. I'm still doing the update ritual, which I know includes firmware updates, so that probably has something to do with it too.

RémiM

I ordered a 2nd gen Lenovo Helix today to compare to SP3. Will report back in a week or So when the helix arrives.

I am really waiting for your review to come. Not because I want the Helix (my heart is sold to my SP3), but because this product seems a good competitor -- the new Yoga being IMO ugly -- and exactly in the same category. Do not forget to post it !