What's new

core i3 vs Atom

CrippsCorner

Paul Thurrott? I would have to, in some part, agree! Arrogant fellow, more often than not!

Yup, the worst thing he ever did to his website was to open it up for comments. I've been following WinSuperSite since before XP but now, I realise he is indeed very arrogant and tbh, just plain rude. He also banned me for criticising his coverage of the PS4... where every single journalist was writing positive things, he caned it off just because it's not made by Microsoft, his arguments were ridiculous! Proper fanboy stuff. I mean I love Microsoft, otherwise I probably wouldn't be on here, but man, he takes things to another level.

ptrkhh

I think HD4200 is pretty much needed to drive such high resolution display on the SP3. There is a reason why OEMs don't build Atom tablets with high-res display compared to the Android tablets, which are often built by the very same OEMs.
The Intel iGPU is simply substandard and inefficient when you compare it to the GPUs from ARM chips. I mean, I still cant believe that my SP3 (Core i3 - HD4200) needs to have the fan active when I play Asphalt 8, something an iPad can run without breaking a sweat. (yes, the SP3 has roughly the same amount of pixels compared to Retina iPads). On other tasks though, its practically fanless (but warm).

tldr, if you want anything more than Full HD, youd need at least Core i3, or go ARM (sorry, AMD).

daniielrp

Hey Kevin,

You got data to back that up? Looks to me like they are approximately the same.
Intel Z3770 vs Core i3 4020Y

That cpuboss site is a scam, it just shows up with unremarkable data scraped from other sites.

Agree CPUboss is just a scraper. However, N.G. if you'd have scrolled down just a bit you'd have seen the passmark score referred to:

Capture.PNG

Core i3 double's performance over Atom.