What's new

Do I Need Additional Antivirus Protection for Surface Pro 3?

annabanana

I've used Kaspersky for over 10 years and never had anything get past it. ESET is good too. AVG started bundling adware/crapware with the free version.

graye

The general consensus is that the Windows 8.1 built-in protection has a marginal track record, and yes... you'd be better off with a 3rd-party solution.

In fact, many independent anti-virus testing organizations use Windows 8.1 Defender as the "base line" for protection performance test (implying that every product tested would do better than that).

Take a look at this web page for a comparision of anti-malware protection. http://www.av-test.org/en/home/

ckozma

I would have to disagree with the majority, I would never use a third party antivirus suite when one is built into windows 8.1. I have been using defender and security essentials for years now and have had no issues. Third party antivirus suites are SLOW resource hogs compared to defender.

FlySwatter

I would have to disagree with the majority, I would never use a third party antivirus suite when one is built into windows 8.1. I have been using defender and security essentials for years now and have had no issues. Third party antivirus suites are SLOW resource hogs compared to defender.
I am mostly on board with this philosophy, and Security Essentials has proven to be very memory and cpu friendly. I do, however, run Malware Bytes concurrently and it does indeed catch the occasional malware attempt that would otherwise have slipped through. I have a lifetime license, and don't have to worry about annual renewals (which I have a great dislike of).

Wiidesire

As long as you don't download things like JustinBieber-NewSong.mp3.exe Windows Defender is enough.

As long as you use common sense..

FlySwatter

As long as you don't download things like JustinBieber-NewSong.mp3.exe Windows Defender is enough.

As long as you use common sense..
Or "This_is_definitely_not_a_virus_no_really.exe". Point well taken -- common sense goes a long way, and unfortunately, is vastly underutilized. :confused:

riggi

Does Defender automatically scan USB drives. I've been using AVG for years and the main thing I need it for is I get a lot of USB sticks from others to swap files and they sometimes have viruses. AVG does a good job of picking them up before I open anything.
If Defender can do the same, I might have it a go.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have never had a virus scanner installed as a daily thing. I will download one and do a scan maybe once a year, and every time I do a scan it reminds me why I didnt bother having on installed in the first place.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The more risky your behavior the more you need top notch antivirus/antimalware defense. if you do a Google search and click every link indiscriminately your risk goes up. if you're visiting dodgy sites... risk increases.

However, what is a dodgy site may surprise you... some sites are not well managed and are easy targets so just going to the Church site for details on the summer pick-a-nick may not be as safe as you would hope.

dleuen

I've always relied on the built-in Windows antivirus. But for my SP3 I am treating it differently since I use it for everything and always have it with me. I am using Kaspersky for AV, Macrium for backups, and have bought Microsoft Complete. So far I've been quite happy with Kaspersky. Everything still feels just as quick and snappy and I feel a little better about having better protection.

DanL

However, what is a dodgy site may surprise you... some sites are not well managed and are easy targets so just going to the Church site for details on the summer pick-a-nick may not be as safe as you would hope.

Good point! About 2 weeks ago the website for our local news paper was hacked. This is a small town news paper. All you had to do was visit the site and click a link to read local news and you were hit with malware. Kaspersky kept me safe. I'm sure a lot of other A/V would as well.

The thought that safe surfing and not visiting shady sites will protect you is no longer valid. The bad guys will come to you now. I would recommend being protected. Which program you use is another subject. There are computer security forums you can visit, research and decide what works best for your own situation.