What's new

Drawing/Inking slowly on SP4

Chrome

Hello! So i really want to buy a Surface Pro 4 and it's almost perfect for my needs but i've read one very crucial thing. I found older topics on forums and videos on Youtube showing that it's impossible to draw slowly and get smooth lines no matter how steady your hand is. Is this fixed in the meantime or still a problem?

Perfect example of what i'm talking about:

I own a Cintiq 22hd for desk work and i understand that the SP4 is not as precise but it would be a real turn off if i can't draw slowly/precise on the SP4.

Could anyone offer any insight? Thanks in advance!

Plantje

I think it is because the SP4 actually is more accurate. It traces every movement (that you DO make while creating a circle in a slow motion) whereas the paper to some extend "grabs" the pen and makes sure you don't move.

OP
C

Chrome

I think it is because the SP4 actually is more accurate. It traces every movement (that you DO make while creating a circle in a slow motion) whereas the paper to some extend "grabs" the pen and makes sure you don't move.

So this isn't fixed yet to this date? Because i don't see how it's more accurate when you can't slowly make a perfectly straight line, even when using a ruler the line is wobbly. If i would put the pen to the display and slowly but with a trained steady hand draw a line and the lines wobble all over the place, i don't see how that is accurate.

Can anyone with an SP4 try this out and let me know if it's still the same? If its fixed ill buy an Sp4 straight away, otherwise i'd have to wait and hope the Sp5 fixes this problem :/

Plantje

I just tried it on my Surface 3. My point is: I think you are never as steady as you think you are. And the SP4 pick up on that unsteadiness whereas pen and paper corrects it.
Just go into a store and test it.

OP
C

Chrome

I just tried it on my Surface 3. My point is: I think you are never as steady as you think you are. And the SP4 pick up on that unsteadiness whereas pen and paper corrects it.
Just go into a store and test it.

Problem is, my Cintiq 22HD is perfectly steady. I'm not necessarily trying to find the difference between paper/pen and the surface pro 4. That was just an example the guy in the video made, he could easily done the same thing with a straight line on a Cintiq or any other Wacom product.

Seems like i'm bashing the Sp4 by comparing it to a Wacom product, thats not what i mean to do at all but those are really good comparisons to make instead of the paper vs surface pro 4 example in the video.

Plantje

I know. And it is true (at least on my Surface 3) drawing in a smooth and faster way results in a much more smooth line. However, I don't think Microsoft will ever see this as something that needs to be fixed.

I think it is a drawback from drawing on a screen.