What's new

Dual Display setup with Dockingstation

mikeknight

Hello all

I have my Surface now for a couple of days. And before i got one i did some research on dual display setups... So i have a problem that i am note able to fix...

Here my Setup:
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (i5, 256 GB SSD, 8GB RAM)
Microsoft Surface Pro Dockingstation
Two Dell U2514 Displays connected with daisy chain, both run at 1920x1200

First display is connected to the docking with a MiniDP to DP cable.
Second display is connected to the first display with a DP cable. (Daisy Chain)

Problem:
Its not working at all ! If i connect to the docking i can not use my external displays or the Surface...
If i connect the minidp cable direct to the surface everything works just fine...

What i did so far:
- Installed all the updates (yes all of them...)
- Reinstalled all the Firmwareupadtes
- Changed all the cables
- Changed the dockingstation
- Installed the newest driver from Intel for the HD4400
- Reinstalled the surface

And yes on the first display, DP 1.2 is enabled and on the second one its disabled.

No luck so far, any more ideas ?

Mike

agt499

Hi Mike, my setup is very similar, and while it works 80% of the time, some times on docking it just doesn't see the displays.
You seem to have tried almost everything, so just a couple more if you haven't already:
  • When my setup is fried, it benefits from powering the monitors and dock completely off at the wall for about 30 seconds.
  • A complete shutdown of the SP3, and then booting in the dock once the dock and monitors are powered up.
  • Try setting displays to Extend from the login screen (Win+P to bring that up)
  • Try setting DP 1.2 for both displays, and swapping the order of the chain
  • Also try other mDP cables
I've concluded that the miniDP on the dock is definitely less capable in some ways than the one on the device, but if you conclude that you can't even get a single monitor working off the dock, then it sounds like you need an exchange of the dock (again?).

OP
M

mikeknight

Hi agt499

Thanks for your replay. I will try those things on monday when i am back at the office...
Also a co worker will join me next week and bring his SP3, maybe its my SP3 that is some how broken... I also orderd all new high quality displayport cables.

more to come next week, over and out :)

Mike

mtalinm

I have the same setup except my second monitor is the 27" dell.

had to fiddle with the on-screen menu of the first (24") monitor in the chain to activate daisy chaining.

also, every few weeks one or the other monitor will go black. I find that unplugging the monitors and plugging them back in solves that.

OP
M

mikeknight

Hi

So today, i used a second Surface, same Problem. The Setup works well with a DELL E7440 Notebook and Dockingstation with DP Output...

So i talked to Microsoft about the issue. They told me on the phone that the DELL Displays are NOT compatible with the Surface Dockingstation, i should connect the cable directly to the Surface.

I also talked to DELL and they told me the exact same thing !

So it looks like im stuck here, next thing i will try is to use a DisplayPort MST Hub...

I also reached out to our product manager at DELL to get a statement...

ynohtna

wow really? I guess I'll never upgrade my 2x Dell U2413s!

dunno if it makes a difference and it just happened like that because those were the cables I had on hand...

SP3 Dock, mDP to DP IN for one u2413 then DP OUT from that monitor to mDP IN for the 2nd u2413

I didn't have any full size DP cables on both ends :D

Last edited:

neurohax

Daisy chaining DP displays has been wonky for the SP2 and SP3. It's odd that a specific monitor, especially one as popular as the Dell Ultrasharp series, is incompatible.

I opted for a Dockable USB 3 dock for one 24" Dell (Ultrasharp, but I forget which model #), and a separate mDP to HDMI to the main 24" display. Anything graphics intense goes to the main external display to take advantage of the miniscule hardware acceleration (like games), and the USB driven display just gets text stuff. It might be worth considering a similar setup if your use can be segmented similarly. I've literally had zero problems with this config. (Yours is admittedly cleaner, though.)

agt499

Hi

So today, i used a second Surface, same Problem. The Setup works well with a DELL E7440 Notebook and Dockingstation with DP Output...

So i talked to Microsoft about the issue. They told me on the phone that the DELL Displays are NOT compatible with the Surface Dockingstation, i should connect the cable directly to the Surface.

I also talked to DELL and they told me the exact same thing !

So it looks like im stuck here, next thing i will try is to use a DisplayPort MST Hub...

I also reached out to our product manager at DELL to get a statement...
Holy crap , that's pretty weird, not to mention being a total mystery as to how one is meant to purchase these things.
I have 2 of the Dell U2414H , being the slightly earlier 1920x1080 version, and these work fine daisy-chained. As noted in my post above, they sometimes need a power cycle, but otherwise they are fine.
(The other things I neglected to mention in my post is that they liked being set to 60Hz refresh for stability, and that performance has improved with the latest MS drivers -I think November?*)

Seriously I thought DisplayPort was a Standard, that should mean that a vendor's device will interoperate with others that meet the standard.
Did either MS or Dell indicate how you are meant to know that it won't work before buying? Is there an actual level of the spec that the dock doesn't (always) meet?

*An aside on this: when I first got my SP3 I kitted up with the 2x Ultrasharp for home office, plus an Asus DisplayLink USB monitor for on-the-go use. Because I had to try, I found that the mDP on the device would drive the 2x Dell, USB and the SP3 display for a total of 4 screens, but initially the dock mDP would only work with any 3 of the 4. After a few driver updates, the dock will now drive all four at once also.

OP
M

mikeknight

Hi Guys

I got a answer from Microsoft support today:

"The following monitors aren't compatible with the Surface Pro 3 Docking Station:

• Dell P2815Q
  • DELL U Series Monitor running rev. A01 or A02. A03 works. Dell can exchange current older Rev for A03
  • Samsung U28D590D
  • ViewSonic TD2240 Monitor "

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Microsoft Professional Support
Surface Team

So yeah... Thats it...

agt499

Wow, that's good to know and scary at the same time.
Assume you'll be trying for an exchange through Dell per second bullet? If so would be good to confirm outcome here, as there's no way you'll be the last to be bitten by that...