What's new

Dual Display setup with Dockingstation

OP
M

mikeknight

I also talked to our key account manager at DELL and he told me that there is only rev. A00 of the U2415 ... So we have to wait and hope that rev A01 will work...

André Sousa

I read that you need an ACTIVE mini DisplayPort connector/adaptor for it to work on the Surface Pro 3 Docking Station. Anyone tried using the Surface Mini DisplayPort HD AV Adapter or Surface Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter? You would have to use HDMI or VGA with the monitor.

Maybe that will work. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
OP
M

mikeknight

Great idea ! But no... For Daisy Chain to work, you NEED to connect the displays via Displayport, so HDMI and VGA does not do the trick... Connect the displays direct to your Surface and your good to go

cmergel

I have a similar setup. I have two Dell U2414H monitors and a SP3 (i7).

From Surface Dock: Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort to Monitor 1
From Monitor 1: DisplayPort to Mini-DisplayPort to Monitor 2
Monitor 1: 1.2 DP enabled
Monitor 2: 1.2 DP disabled

This setup works flawlessly with my 8.1 Surface Pro3 (i5). My other SP3 (i7) that I upgraded to 10 Build it didn't.

I finally went into the Monitor gui on Monitor 2 and disabled the DDC\CI and now DaisyChaining is working on Windows 10.

Anyway, just wanted to share what got me working.

OP
M

mikeknight

@cmergel you have Rev.3 Displays, right ? I also tryd to disable the DDC\CI and use MiniDP on the second display, but that wont work for me. Onlything working is connecting the Displays directly to the Surface

cmergel

Yes, sorry. They are both A03.

Darn shame that the dock doesn't support dual monitors without the need for this daisychaining. Head scratching.

ynohtna

Darn shame that the dock doesn't support dual monitors without the need for this daisychaining. Head scratching.

Uh that's a display port standard? Not a dock thing. DP is a standard and should just work so the manufacturers are being pretty sloppy if it doesn't work!

When I bought all my DP1.2 stuff I bought it all with blind faith it would work. At first was discouraged cause my Lenovo Helix didn't support DP1.2 then when I switched to SP3, everything fired up ok! Got lucky! I'm using 2x Dell U2413

logger

I have a similar setup. I have two Dell U2414H monitors and a SP3 (i7).
<snip>
This setup works flawlessly with my 8.1 Surface Pro3 (i5). My other SP3 (i7) that I upgraded to 10 Build it didn't.
<snip>
Anyway, just wanted to share what got me working.

Yes, sorry. They are both A03.

Hi, Newby here.
I want to do the same and hook up 2x Dell U2414H monitors to the docking station. Want to make sure I get rev A03 monitors before I order. Would everything Dell ship now be this revision or is there a chance of getting caught out with old gear still.

cmergel

I don't know the answer to that one unfortunately. I didn't know there was an issue with the earlier models until I had already unbowed them.

I would venture that if you buy them and they aren't A03 or newer you could open a support ticket and get them exchanged. From what I have read, I believe that to be a bug.

logger

Thanks for the reply. I am chasing it up with Dell and will report back with what they say.

Having just spoken with DELL sales. They cannot specify the revsion number for the monitors that I have just ordered. However I can return them no questions asked within 15 days.

So my plan is to have a good gawk on the outside of the boxes to see if the rev A03 is written somewhere on it. If yes I will set them up. If A02 or A01 will not bother unpacking them and send them straight back.

Do you recall if the rev number is printed on the box, the monitor itself or is it in the software only?

Last edited: