What's new

eBay: Surface RT w/ Keyboard, $199 USD (Manufacturer Refurb)

machistmo

Yep, manufacturer refurbs can actually be pretty good. They give 'em a good going over. Maybe a nick or a scratch on the back (which you'd put on it in a week anyway).

Or they may be complete crap, as is the case with my Jabra Journey Bluetooth refurb or maybe they are just that bad?

Nick M

Buyer beware, I bought an Incipio sleeve for my RT from this seller (how do you refurb a sleeve?). Looked new but had no zipper pull so it could not be closed. They refunded my purchase and also did not want the sleeve returned. I would bet they sell all the surface returns that users brought back to the original seller. Assuming the product is OK this is a good deal but who has the manpower to "manufacturer refurbish" thousands of surface tablets? With a feedback of only 500 or so I would be cautious.

Nick

machistmo

Yep, manufacturer refurbs can actually be pretty good. They give 'em a good going over. Maybe a nick or a scratch on the back (which you'd put on it in a week anyway).

or they can be a nightmare that someone else wants to pawn off on you for whatever cash they can get.

Last edited:

pallentx

Normally, I would be worried about what you get on such an auction, but considering the volume of unsold stock MS supposedly has, I think odds are pretty good that they are new. I cant imagine its worth repairing or recertifying defective returns when you have a warehouse full of new ones.

pallentx

Mine arrived yesterday. It appears to be brand new. It was sealed in plastic and didn't have a single scuff or smudge.
I was really excited about it being 64GB, but didn't notice that this one didn't include a keyboard cover. Still, cant complain for $199.

Last edited:

firewall84

So did anyone here buy one from that seller?

I did, and a coworker bought two for him and his wife. Ordered them last week on Friday, shipped on Tuesday because of Labor day and got them in yesterday (south east US).

Except for the "refurbished" markings, everything seems identical to the new one I purchased several months ago as far as condition and the packaging. "Refurbished" appears to have been printed on the box by Microsoft so my assumption is that the refurb was performed by them.

I honestly wasn't happy with my last one for $499, but was going to reconsider if they got down to $299 w/cover. So for $199 I'm extremely happy with it.

miplatt88

Woot!! Proud owner of a 64 gb Surface RT. That deal was so ballzin I had to buy one. Love this thing. Looks absolutely brand new. Waayyyyy better than Ipads.

kutch47

I did, and a coworker bought two for him and his wife. Ordered them last week on Friday, shipped on Tuesday because of Labor day and got them in yesterday (south east US).

Except for the "refurbished" markings, everything seems identical to the new one I purchased several months ago as far as condition and the packaging. "Refurbished" appears to have been printed on the box by Microsoft so my assumption is that the refurb was performed by them.

I honestly wasn't happy with my last one for $499, but was going to reconsider if they got down to $299 w/cover. So for $199 I'm extremely happy with it.

I bought one as well, 32GB Microsoft Surface RT Tablet bundle with Black Touch Cover, $199, minus quadruple e-bucks, $16 - what a deal!
"Refurbished" stickers were easily removed, and the item did not show any previous handling.
I've been looking for my next computer for several months and thought the chromebook would be the ticket: liked the security feature, auto-updating, and cost. However, I just couln't get past the lack of MS Office.
Surface RT with touch cover created sticker shock . . . until an eBay alert got me to view this deal . . . and I jumped on it.
I could not be happier!!!