What's new

Even Microsoft had no clue what I was talking about...

JMCIVOR

I've been looking for a power supply for this original Surface for about 8 months. I've spoken with multiple reps at MS as well as multiple attempts at contacting Delta Electronics, they simply refuse to respond. I've even spoken with a company that creates custom power supplies, and they wouldnt take on the project.

This, the original MS Surface (Model 1368) is an amazing device, but a nightmare to service. Check out the photo's and email logs below. I'm still looking... Has anyone else tried to find parts for this thing? If so, did you have any luck?

SzmfjxT.jpg

47G75lv.jpg

FKjUJkm.jpg

HbXy4NC.jpg

--------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, March 14, 2016 9:45 AM
To: Jody McIvor
Subject: Re: Can IPD duplicate this PSU?

HI Jody,

We do not manufacture power supplies like the one you have.

Regards,
Tom

Tom Young
Technical Sales
Integrated Power Designs
300 Stewart Road
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18706
Ph:(570) 824-4666
Fx:(570) 824-4843
www.ipdpower.com
[email protected]
On 3/11/2016 6:59 PM, Jody McIvor wrote:
Hi there,

I'm trying to source a PSU to replace the one attached (Photos). The manufacturer has been no help, the PC Manufacturer has been no help, so now I'm looking for somebody to build us a replacement. Is this even something you do? It's a power supply for a table top Microsoft Surface (The original surface, before they launched their handheld tablet line). It powers the internal PC as well as the array of projectors and lights.

Original message to Delta Electronics (Which received no response despite multiple emails):
===========================================
Hi Gentlemen,

I'm attempting to source a power supply for the Microsoft Surface 1368 (Table sized interactive display). I've disassembled the unit to find the PSU, manufactured by Delta Electronics. I've been in touch with Microsoft, but they were little help and suggested I contact you (Delta Elec.). All available details are below. Is it possible to source this PSU from you or one of your vendors?

Device model: Microsoft Surface 1368
Power supply model: Delta Electronics DPSN-510AB
Device Product#: UH015221000045583228
Device Serial#: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've attempted to connect with Microsoft, and they had no clue what this device even was, and eventually passed the buck, saying to contact Delta Electronics (Manufacturer of the PSU). I've attempted to contact them multiple times via email. I will try to find a telephone number, next.

==================================
Hi Gentlemen,

I emailed you nearly two months ago, but have yet to hear back from you. Please review below, as any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jody McIvor

Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:19 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Cc: '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'
Subject: MS Surface 1368 Delta Elec. PSU

Hi Gentlemen,

I'm attempting to source a power supply for the Microsoft Surface 1368 (Table sized interactive display). I've disassembled the unit to find the PSU, manufactured by Delta Electronics. I've been in touch with Microsoft, but they were little help and suggested I contact you (Delta Elec.). All available details are below. Is it possible to source this PSU from you or one of your vendors?

Device model: Microsoft Surface 1368
Power supply model: Delta Electronics DPSN-510AB
Device Product#: UH015221000045583228
Device Serial#: 000045583228

Please also find reference photo's attached.

Thanks,

Jody McIvor

Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:00 AM
Subject: Fwd: SRX1317812703ID - A Sample Pic of Your Device and the PC Power Supply

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Surface Support <SURFC.SURF.NA.00.EN.ARV.AGL.TS.T01.SPT.00.PI@css.one.microsoft.com>
Date: Dec 15, 2015 2:33 PM
Subject: SRX1317812703ID - A Sample Pic of Your Device and the PC Power Supply

Cc:
Hi Jody!
Got the pictures and had my tech lead look on these, seems that you may want to contact the manufacturer of the Component you are looking for which is Delta Electronics Inc for the Power Supply Parts.
you may visit their website, deltaeletronics.com for further info
Thanks!
Arlie
MS Surface SUpport
--- Original Message ---

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Rogers network.
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 1:49 PM
Subject: [BULK] SRX1317812703ID - A Sample Pic of Your Device and the PC Power Supply

Hi Jody,

please reply to this email and attach the pictures.

Thanks!
Arlie
MS Surface Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP
J

JMCIVOR

Thanks for the response. It's definately a Surface, I just took a photo for proof :) (below)

Your response was the same response I got from Microsoft, none of them knew what I was talking about and kept trying to refer me to handheld tablet support docs and things like that. Those links you gave are for power ADAPTERS, not power supply's (Its larger than an internal PC power supply, for this unit).

And if you are refering to my profile saying I own an RT, I only select that because I HAD to select something in order to register, and that was the oldest device that was listed.

Photo!
e9Vcdv1.jpg

OP
J

JMCIVOR

Yea that name changing business was confusing when I was digging around for parts. Its just as much of a dead end, unfortunately, lol. I got all excited because the microsoft site had a link to the pixelsense site for support, clicked it... 404. lol who knew MS had a sense of humor....

OP
J

JMCIVOR

Yea its a custom power supply, otherwise I'd try and frankenstein it. Its odd, because it is a modified PSU, it powers the PC, but also powers the array of projectors/lights inside the unit. That's what I've resorted to, searching for used parts, but having no luck. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
After further review... you might find a power supply that would work... if you can dig some details of your unit...

From above it appears to be a Delta DPSN-510AB power supply
Sorry the whole thread of emails TL;DR ;)

I found a boat load of data sheets for Delta power Supplies but not specifically the 510AB the differences from one to the next aren't always that great but if you can get voltages and wattage from the case of your power supply you might find a suitable substitute.
Here's a datasheet image for a DPSN-540AB
upload_2016-4-5_18-10-52.png

Happy hunting.
edited typo: DSPN DPSN

Last edited: