What's new

Failure to update to Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496)

kristalsoldier

I got a notification that this update had downloaded itself and was waiting installation, which I allowed it to do. It took an inordinate time to install and after restarting a couple of times I got the message that it cannot be installed and was undoing all the changes. This happened a couple of times. So, I downloaded and ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter, which listed two errors which it also fixed. Tried the download again, again it failed. Any ideas as to what is going on?

And, as a reference, the same update installed on my SP4 - though it took a very long time. But it installed just fine.

Thanks in advance.

PHuba

I have no solution to propose, just would like to say that you are not alone - got the exact same issue (had no time to make several trials).
I have a SP3. The download was "long" (but not excessive) asked for reboot - rebooted again at +-40% then got the message update failed and it had to roll back which it did - (less than 30' in total).
I did this this morning (I am UTC+2) and will try again tonight but from what I am reading, there is little if no chance that it would work.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Thanks. Yes, I have been reading about this very odd behaviour too. But the thing is it failed once on the SP4 but worked the second time and I am not kidding when I say that the SP4 seems slicker than before. So, I have no idea why this is happening. Anyways, lets hope Jeff (@jnjroach ) sees this and can advise. He usually has some tricks up his sleeve or some valuable insight. Cheers!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It appears to be a bug on some of the ATOM SoCs for this update, looks pretty widespread. Typically this will get fixed in the next rev of the KB Patch.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

It appears to be a bug on some of the ATOM SoCs for this update, looks pretty widespread. Typically this will get fixed in the next rev of the KB Patch.

OK. Thanks!! So just keep deferring the prompts to run and install till the next update shows up.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing to try is remove the Micro SD card and see if it installs correctly....