What's new

Find My Device Not Working

MrTickleMan

Hi

I have recently got a Surface Book and as part of my setup on security I have tried to get the Find My Device setup.

Under update and security I can see Find My Device is turned On.

I have followed the link to account.microsoft.com/devices and registered the surface book with the correct serial code.

So I am expecting to see the device with a last know location show on the home page of account.microsoft.com/devices but all see is warranty info, links to purchase accessories or schedule a repair.

The surface book is connected to a network locally.

Am I missing something? As anyone got this working on their SBs?

mark31

I have the same issue. Bought several Surface devices with this feature as a main reason. Microsoft support has not been able to help. This is such a foreign topic to Surface support when you get someone that you basically have to show them where it is and read to them how it's suppose to work. Sad. I've talked to 2 different so-called support people with the same results. BTW-I'm a MCP and a little embarrassed about it. Sorry that I expect these support people to know anything about what they are supporting.

leeshor

I'm going to take a SWAG on this and say it would only work on a phone. The way Windows 10 installs on desktops is the same way it installs on tablets and/or laptops. The default install on a straight up desktop assumes it has WiFi, bluetooth and phone features not to mention a touch screen.

When I install on a desktop it takes me several minutes to turn off all the tablet and other features that don't apply.

dcoplien

I'm going to take a SWAG on this and say it would only work on a phone. The way Windows 10 installs on desktops is the same way it installs on tablets and/or laptops. The default install on a straight up desktop assumes it has WiFi, bluetooth and phone features not to mention a touch screen.

When I install on a desktop it takes me several minutes to turn off all the tablet and other features that don't apply.
Just tried it. My SB is on and has a WiFi connection. It shows my current location. My SP4 is off and its last locations shows.

leeshor

The problem with that is that phones pretty much stays live all the time and if location services are on could be found if it's powered up, which is the norm for a phone. So even if it appears to work on any other device it would be very limited.

dcoplien

The problem with that is that phones pretty much stays live all the time and if location services are on could be found if it's powered up, which is the norm for a phone. So even if it appears to work on any other device it would be very limited.
For me it wouldn't do much good as I have it set to turn off WiFi. If it was stolen I'd be out of luck as whoever took it would have to be near an open network or figure out my password to start and then log into another network. If I just forgot it someplace, as long as I had a WiFi connection before I turned it off, I should be able to find it. I'd rather save battery power then know where it is. "Find my device" IMHO is better suited for always on GPS with internet connections.