What's new

Finding the Battery Drain

SeanP

I charged up my SP3 this AM to 100%. Closed lid, headed out at 8:30am.

6.5 hours later, I started my SP3 back up and battery was down to 66%!!!!

Prior to my Windows 10 install, the worst I have dropped was between 5-6%.

Any suggestions or ideas? The machine was sleeping and I did have Cortana activated so I'm wondering if this could be the reason?

Part of the issue is I have no way, that I know of anyway, to tell what was the culprit... my iPhone will tell me what is using the most battery. My Samsung Note would do the same. But not this?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I charged up my SP3 this AM to 100%. Closed lid, headed out at 8:30am.

6.5 hours later, I started my SP3 back up and battery was down to 66%!!!!

Prior to my Windows 10 install, the worst I have dropped was between 5-6%.

Any suggestions or ideas? The machine was sleeping and I did have Cortana activated so I'm wondering if this could be the reason?

Part of the issue is I have no way, that I know of anyway, to tell what was the culprit... my iPhone will tell me what is using the most battery. My Samsung Note would do the same. But not this?
Sure it does....go to Settings....System....Battery Saver.... Battery Use

You can also do more advanced diags with an elevated CMD Prompt using PowerCfg /sleepstudy or PowerCfg /energy or PowerCfg /batteryreport

OP
S

SeanP

Oh wow. Is that one of the new features? I don't remember that being available before.

Thank you

OP
S

SeanP

So you can see here what caused the battery drain from sleep study report. I'm a novice at this so trying to figure out what it is that caused it. Almost looks like the machine never went to sleep at all or hibernation. Odd

Attachments

• Screenshot (13).png
    Screenshot (13).png
    143 KB · Views: 712
OP
S

SeanP

It was something on USB, Wireless Mouse or perhaps Bluetooth....

So in the past I never had to turn off Bluetooth before updating to 10. I like the ability to quickly access my OneNote with pen or double click for screen shot. But now it would appear that maybe leaving it on causes the SP3 to constantly try and connect? Not sure what the fix here is.

I just closed lid again and in 2 hours I went from 100% to 87% without doing anything.

Achristocat

Hey everyone. I did the upgrade to W10, standard upgrade - seemed to go without a problem - stayed with it for 5 days but reverted back to 8.1 because of a few issues. W10 seems a bit premature to me, but I will probably be back when the issues are fixed -
1) Battery drain sounds Very Similar to what the OP posted.
2) Fan was running almost CONSTANTLY and the generated heat was the most I have ever seen in the 8 months I've had my SP3. Super hot to the touch...Never had that before with 8.1 unless I was doing LOTS of design stuff (Solidworks AND Photoshop AND Illustrator, with music and Firefox with a few tabs...) Ove the last 5 days it woudl get That Hot with Firefox / i browser tab open...
3) Solidworks crashed on me about 5 times a day until I did a REPAIR with installation discs, and then it went down to 2 a day. Very Seldom did SW ever full crash on me with 8.1
4) option to "Just make text bigger" option was greyed out - looked all over for a registry hack but..not there yet...and no, I do not want to scale EVERYthing just so I could read things a little better. Even just being able to BOLD the font would be an improvement.
5) Start menu WOULD allow me to make the Metro tile area taller, but not WIDER...Why? That option was everywhere in the previews...
6) Why do programs HAVE to be Alphabetical in the All Apps? I have all of my productivity apps rearrangend by type - CAD / Database, Multimedia, Utility, Productivity, etc...I put them that way for a reason and now...ugh...
7) Cortana worked about 1/4 times. When it worked it was pretty cool...When it didn't...I felt like an idiot. IT's running in the background, probably sucking up Very Valuable CPU time and my battery and..Not Working? Not so good... I am also hoping MS will allow search engines OTHER than Bing natively. I know you can change that IF you are willing to use Chrome and DL a plugin, but...I tend to use Firefox as my default.
7) For all of you who are Staying on W10, I recommend looking in the (Start, Settings, Privacy - Scroll down to Background Apps) and there were 20 programs just clicking away in the background for...some reason? Why the hell does Sudoku need to run in the background? Amazon? Background wallpapers? Why the heck does Background Wallpapers need to connect to the 'net in the background All The Time???Yeah...turned all of THOSE off and about 15 more. P.S. I didn't even INSTALL Sudoku...So yeah. Go check that out...

Anyway, I like the PROMISE of W10 and many of the things that it was trying to offer. Things I loved -
1) Tray Calendar - Pretty and useful. More things like this please...
2) The ability to do dark settings / UI - PLEASE make dark themes! Easier on the eyes...Stylish...
3) Overall speediness seemed..pretty darn good
4) Notification Area - Loved it...and FINALLY an easy way to get to the Bluetooth Devices / Turn BT on / Off. On 8.1 I created a script that runs from an icon on my task bar that pulls it up. On a Surface with Very Limited Battery, an easy way to turn on and off the things that suck power / connect to headphones / web is MANDATORY...

There was more, but...You get the idea..

Hope everyone gets what they want out of the Upgrade. I hope I do too...Someday... :)

yonghong

win 10 sucks, after upgrade my 128g sp3 to win10, the standby cost 9% battery each time, it's said my samsung 64g micro-SD card cause that, WTF, before it was on Win8.1 this never happened .please help?

OP
S

SeanP

Wow. Day 2 and it's worse today. Attached is both the sleep study that I ran and battery screen.

I disallowed calendar refresh now in background but Edge is not nor ever was allowed. Furthermore, I CLOSED all these apps before shutting the lid on my machine, at 100% battery life, and heading out.

That was at 8:15am. At 12pm., I was down to 58% battery!!! I mean, COME ON NOW!!!! WTH?

Prior to upgrading I NEVER EVER had this issue. Suddenly, I'm losing 42% in 4 hours? I do use Cortana but if that's what is causing this then it's ridiculous to even use it to begin with.

And if I have to put my machine in airplane mode or just completely power it off vs hibernate it makes the machine less useful over time...one of the features is the quick boot up, etc. This is ridiculous.

If someone can look at what I have done here and tell me what I am missing I'd really appreciate it. Again, I'm kind of a novice about battery issues but learning quickly. NEVER had a major issue until the upgrade.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot (14).png
    Screenshot (14).png
    135.2 KB · Views: 607
  • Screenshot (15).png
    Screenshot (15).png
    402.3 KB · Views: 663