What's new

General people don't know Surface from Surface Pro

Microsoft marketing needs to get the word out about the difference between Surface and Surface Pro. No one that I have come across understands. They see my device and they say I just don't know if I need a tablet. Then Microsoft's marketing burden falls to me to explain that a Surface Pro is everything a standard PC is with the flexibility of a tablet. If Microsoft marketing was doing their job, that would be common knowledge. Every time I explain that to someone they change opinion and I can see in their envy. Why do I have to explain this to people? Microsoft needs to step it up and make the difference between Surface and Surface Pro common knowledge. If Microsoft doesn't choose to do this, they should have a referral bonus for each Surface Pro device that I sell for them!

daniielrp

But those "people" are right - the Pro IS a tablet. Blah blah PC power etc, but it's form factor and design = tablet.

And for many people, they don't need a tablet, a standard laptop will probably suit them just fine.

scottysize

Anytime someone says, "I don't need a tablet." I just shake my head and laugh. I currently have 4. No one needs a tablet, but they sure make life interesting. Now what I need is a PC tablet and that's what I'm hoping the Surface Pro 3 is.

TPadden

It's the touch screen (tablet) with full computing (laptop) capability that makes it different. On the rare occasion that I now pick up my Macbook Air for the first 10 minutes I use it, half the time I'm poking and swiping the screen :D .....

scottysize

I pick up my MacBook Pro w/Retina Display and think, "Man this thing is freekin' heavy!" Just 2 years ago I couldn't believe how much lighter it was from the 2010 version.

dRuEFFECT

Anytime someone says, "I don't need a tablet." I just shake my head and laugh. I currently have 4. No one needs a tablet, but they sure make life interesting. Now what I need is a PC tablet and that's what I'm hoping the Surface Pro 3 is.

My iPad just sits collecting dust on my nightstand, my HP Touchpad is basically just a clock in my kitchen, but my SP2 is my everything.

kristalsoldier

Yeah...tablets are great - though not essential. My Surface 2 (soon to be upgraded to an SP3 subject to availability) doubles as my laptop and as a tablets for web-surfing and videos (personal opinion, it works better in the latter role than in the former only because of better battery life in the latter role). My iPad is a dedicated e-reader (best device that I have found in that role) and when I had my Nexus 10, it was my dedicated movie player (can't beat that screen!). Now the Nexus is gone (given away), and the Surface plays that role - admirably, I may add. VLC for the RT platform would have been excellent, but I have just given up on them. There are other alternatives. Plus, I use the heck out of Plex!

Yeah...tablets are very good and with the SP3, I think it may even become essential!

Nuspieds

So what happens when one goes to buy a car? Or a Refrigerator? Or a Washing Machine? Etc.? Besides the consumer doing his/her own research, isn't the salesperson supposed to be knowledgeable about the product so that he/she can not only just provide information about the product but also probe the consumer to determine which product(s) best suit the consumer's needs?

I do as much research as I can before I make a significant purchase. Regardless, when I walk into a store and I see different models of the product of which I am either not fully aware and/or still need additional information, I ask the salesperson to explain the differences/advantages/disadvantages/etc. between the models. We all know that not all salespeople are well-informed/trained and/or they may have financial incentives to push one product over the next, but in the end, if you need more information than what the manufacturer's marketing and/or your own research can provide, then you have to rely on the salesperson (if you're in the store and ready to buy).

Hypothetical case: Suppose that Best Buy sold me the Surface with RT and I got home and tried to install my Windows x86 apps, I'd take it back and say, "Hey, this thing won't let me install <app>! What's the deal?!" At that point when I'm told I need the Pro version and need to shell out more cash, then I'll either find that acceptable and get it, or not, and demand a refund. It's that simple.

If I am capable and have the resources and skill set to do my own research--but did not--then shame on me for buying the wrong product; on the other hand, if for whatever reason I am completely dependent on the salesperson to guide me, then I'd be fuming at the store and shame on them for having such an incompetent or misguided salesperson. In either case, there's no blame to be put on the vendor's marketing.