What's new

Great features of Windows RT that people may not know about...

chatterbot

There are so many features in the Surface RT that the Apple and Android tablets can't even touch...but they aren't advertised that much. This is due to the biased reviewers.

1. Remote desktop
2. Windows drivers out of the box and full sized USB allow you to connect mice, storage devices, wifi printers, etc.
3. My n900 wifi router has a USB connected external hard drive. My Surface RT can connect to this external storage and treat it as another drive. This means I can store my large music and video library centrally and stream it to my computer, xBox, and Surface RT. This is actually pretty HUGE!!! I can also use this network attached storage to backup my Surface RT.
4. High contrast mode. It looks like a Bloomberg terminal. This can save your eyesight.
5. Antivirus software built in!

Windows RT has the power of a desktop operating system with 8 to 9 hrs of battery life in a tablet form factor! Coupled with fully compatible Office software, how is this not a great product?

Last edited:

flight

Some of these aren't exclusive to the Surface RT. I'm not familiar with Android tablets, but the iPad can remote into my desktop and pressing the home button three times enables high contrast mode (Settings>General>Accessibility).

USB and microSD expansion are fantastic features though.

sashlon

Its compatibility with the Xbox controller is a big deal IMHO and the amount of drivers that it supports and printers.

camis1

The Remote Desktop App is amazing. I have a client in the Cayman Islands using a very heavy i/o based accounting application we designed. Connecting to their terminal server is a snap. Performance with screen displays and printing to a local printer
is unbelievable.....

kjoe51689

You can get more storage and save all your apps by editing the registry link. Just a heads up for anyone interested in getting more space. I've done it and found I have not really found any problems with it and things load and update correctly. Great idea if you want to get yourself some more space. Got myself a little 20 dollar sd card and use it to get another 32 gig of space

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have one legacy Server on Server 2003 and I RDP into all the time, I just have to use the keyboard and Mouse to interact with the OS.

elee532

Can you tell me more about the n900 thing? First, what is an n900 router... is this a brand/model or a type of router? Second, Can the Music App see files stored on a USB drive connected to this n900 router? Thanks!

ArnoldC

Can you tell me more about the n900 thing? First, what is an n900 router... is this a brand/model or a type of router? Second, Can the Music App see files stored on a USB drive connected to this n900 router? Thanks!

I have the Western Digital N900 Central, WiFi router + 2TB drive, and I also have a 1TB MyBook connected to it, both of which are accessible. The built-in Music app can't access them as there is lack of DLNA or uPnP support in the app. My HTC Windows Phone 8s and HTC One V Android can access all media with no problem.

You can then use the Desktop file manager to play any media and it will bring up Music or Video player as appropriate. MediaMonkey sees the NAS, but crashes as I start playing. Not surprisingly, MediaMonkey does not crash when invoked from the Desktop.

Tomorrow, I will get my 3TB Synology which I will include in the N900C. Let's see what happens.

elee532

I don't think DLNA or uPnP matter. I have a QNAP NAS and the Music app doesn't find it. From what I understand, it's an issue because network folders can't be indexed and added to the Windows Music library. That's why I was intrigued by the original post that said the Surface recognized the USB drive attached to the router, as a drive and not as a network share. I'll be curious to hear how your Synology works. I'm not familiar with MediaMonkey. Does it offer any integration with Xbox Music subscription?