What's new

Green line and slow updating

r_europe

For a few weeks now I've been experiencing a sort of slow, clunky updating of folders on my SP2 with a rather tiresome green bar going across the top of my 'file manager' screen in Windows (see screenshot).

Anybody have any ideas what this is and how to put it right?
Screenshot (1).png

OP
R

r_europe

How much space do you have left on your device?
Hi jnjroach,
About 83Gb free out of some 256. I also have about 13Gb on One Drive which uses the same amount of disk space on the SP2 - so total would be around 70Gb free.
I performed a 'disk cleanup' this morning, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.
Incidentally, I'm getting the same problem on my SP1.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry I was on my phone, this is a OneDrive Folder, are those available offline? What is your throughput on your Internet Connection?

OP
R

r_europe

Sorry I was on my phone, this is a OneDrive Folder, are those available offline? What is your throughput on your Internet Connection?
Yes it's a OneDrive folder on which all items are set to also be available offline. I store my pictures on the hard drive of my SP2 - i.e. not OneDrive - and am experiencing exactly the same phenomenon there too.
I'm not sure what the throughput of my Internet connection is, but it's my home one and I know it's pretty good.
The point is that I'm getting this green bar and sluggish updating of files with whichever of my usual Internet connections I'm using (on both of my Surface Pros), whereas I didn't have this a few weeks ago.
Is it really just me, or are others having the same issue?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe the Downloads folder is not synced to OneDrive so how is the performance on that? or any other purely local folder ... like the Windows folder?

You may have a OneDrive syncing issue which still make cause local OneDrive folders to seem slow it its status is not in sync it may be trying to sync.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Also, running disk clean up could help as well....

The Green Bar is the progress bar has the file system is trying to load the files in the directory, when it slow on external media it is typically some corrupt sectors on the drive, on remote locations or synced locations there is a delta between what is cached locally vs. what the remote location is reporting...

Pausing OneDrive Sync and restarting the service, or even the Office Upload Center to see if something is out of sync, as it shows conflicts...

OP
R

r_europe

Have tried disk clean up and pausing and re-starting OneDrive sync, but I'm still getting the green line and generally sluggish performance. Also interesting to note that the 'zip' feature is not working properly - i.e. when I send files to a new zip folder, they cannot be opened afterwards - it's like the whole process is just hanging.

I have begun to wonder whether I might have a virus, so yesterday clicked on Windows Defender (it's all I'm using for this) in the Control Panel. Whatever I do, Defender won't open. Looking then at Windows Update, I notice that a couple of important updates (virus definitions for Defender) have failed to install.

Running the Update Troubleshooter doesn't work either because when I click on it, it says 'requesting security scan' and then 'security scan paused'. In fact the some thing happens when trying to open pdf files downloaded from the Internet - I cannot open them.

I'm loath to do yet another refresh. Do I have any other options?

OP
R

r_europe

Hmm - same problem. I try downloading Malwarebytres and I get 'running security scan' which then just hangs and nothing further happens.

What do you mean by 'invisible off'?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm - same problem. I try downloading Malwarebytres and I get 'running security scan' which then just hangs and nothing further happens.

What do you mean by 'invisible off'?
Um do you mean the security scan of the downloaded file or were you able to install Malwarebytes, update it and the Malwarebytes scan is hung? This scan usually takes a while though.

Do you see any Disk Errors in the Event Log?