What's new

SP3 File Manager Freezes Up

Damien B

I have been experiencing an issue wherein File Manager/ Recycle Bin/ Etc will completely not work until rebooting the computer. This happens every few days or so if I do not reboot the computer in between.

Most recently I had rebooted the computer on Friday, didn't use it at all on Saturday, used it a decent bit on Sunday, and then Monday morning I deleted a shortcut from the desktop and went to right click the recycle bin to delete it and it thought about the right click for about 30 seconds (or more) until I finally left-clicked on the desktop which prompted the screen to turn white and it stopped thinking. Right-clicking again started up the same thinking process. Trying to open file manager failed. I clicked on the task bar shortcut to the file manager and it acted for a second like it was going to open and then nothing.

This is a fairly common occurrence when I go a few days without a reboot. I used to go all the time without rebooting my SP1 without any kinds of problems, but it seems like I have to reboot every few days with the SP3 or it gets buggy like this. This is also a fairly new SP3 (just a couple months old). I am running Windows 10.

Is this a common issue that I just need to learn to deal with and just get in the habit of rebooting regularly? Is there a fix for this?

Also, it seems to take forever to restart after this problem occurs (it will take about 3-5 minutes shutting down in the reboot process (on the "restarting" screen), and then about a minute or less to start back up after it goes black and the Surface logo appears.) I don't know if the slow reboot process occurs under normal rebooting (i.e. when this issue has not occurred), since I have not restarted the computer lately at a time when this has not occurred (unless installing updates which is also expected to take time).

OP
D

Damien B

Added information: even when these problems persist I can use Chrome/ IE fine. I assume I can still use other apps fine as well and probably even access the files through those apps (have not tried this once the problem occurs, so not sure).

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

My only suggestion is a possible file system corruption. Do a chkdsk/scan of C: drive.

Moved to the Windows 10 on SP3 forum

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have encountered this a number of times on a number of machines. It turned out it was a usb hard drive that needed a scan and fix.