What's new

Poll How reliable is your SP3?

How reliable is your SP3?

• It's a perfect device - It has never failed on me

Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Frequent system failure (ex. freezing, lagging, crashing etc.)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • I rarely have any problems

Votes: 42 50.6%
  • Never had any problems

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters

qwertyy

I bought mine a week ago, but I ended up returning it because my SP3 kept freezing on me (normally after heating up first). Maybe it's just me and I'm not good with computers, but I've never had such problems with my Macbook pro.

I really loved my SP3 so I really want to try one again, but I just wanted to hear some opinions before I am committed.

For those of you who have owned SP3 for more than a week, how reliable is it in terms of regular functioning?

PS.. I just realized that option 1 and 4 are the same xD Please ignore option 4! I have no idea how to edit it now :(

ctitanic

Here is what I think. The Pro 3 is the best TabletPC I have ever owned but it's a Tablet for those who know Windows and know it from well to very well.

kristalsoldier

I have not experienced any issues at all with my SP3 - no wifi issues, no screen-related issues, no battery issues, no updating issues etc. However, some apps - mainly the MUI Mail app - have caused some problems, but nothing that could not be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling it. I wish I did not have to do that, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess. But in hardware terms, the SP3 has been very good.

Edit:

On the questions of reliability, in light of some of the issues that I have had with apps (again, very few, actually), I would say that my worry has always been whether or not some app or update that MS pushes out from time to time would wreck the user experience. But, I guess, this is something that would undoubtedly be a concern for any software.

Sassi

Functioning wise very few issues. I have the yellow band but it's being replaced so hopefully the new one won't, I have a weird tingling from it when charging but have been told by some it's normal and others it's dangerous so...., From a functional point of view my only real issue is battery which is not brilliant. My battery report shows the battery life estimate decreasing daily with the same use every day, which is odd. If I put hibernate on my shut down menu and use it my machine hangs with a black screen and I have to use the volume up and power to get it to work again, so I don't have hibernate on my menu. It works fine when it goes into hibernate itself from connected standby. Finally the pen doesn't always open Metro OneNote, I get a message saying there was a problem opening it next time I open it even after reinstalling. As I said I'm getting a new unit so I'll have to see if that has the same battery issue and yellow band. Overall though I love the machine.

OP
Q

qwertyy

I think my device was just defective. I'm going to try another one tomorrow maybe directly from the MS online store. Honestly though, I have to agree that SP3 is by far the best tablet I've seen.
@Sassi: Now that you mention it, I also remember seeing a yellow band on the left hand side of the screen. It was very visible but I just didn't care about it. I hope you get a better one this time!

wditters

Except for some finicky behaviour with respect to connecting multiple displays I have to say my SP3 has been rock solid so far :)

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine's been excellent left so far only one issue with limited WiFi but other than that it's been great. Very happy with my i7 256mb.

Lobo

Being a Mac user as well, I might be biased, but I do experience minor issues all the time. Most of which I can live with, though.

Now I'm not new to MS products and I've been working with them ever since the days of MS-DOS, so I'm used to the minor and major quirks.

Of course, Windows operating systems have to support countless hardware combinations compared to Apple, who can tailor to a handful of platform iterations.

In this case, with Microsoft supplying hardware and software, I expected less flaws honestly.

I'm still experiencing odd shutdowns, malfunctions and crashes which, while generally minor, make the system a bit unreliable.

And before you guys hand out the pitchforks: Yes, it is still a great device for my specific line of work, the form factor and the usability are amazing. And no, Apple doesn't come close with any of their devices – which is why I took the plunge in the first place.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder why some devices are just so fraught with problems and others seem to be so much better I haven't tweaked mine at all, I've installed all the updates as they've come in, I haven't added any special drivers etc or changed any major settings. I've just installed my programs as I've wanted (lightroom, PS etc) and it's been fine so far. Is it hardware differences, differences in configuration etc?? If someone else bought the same model as I have, installed the same programs and used it in the same way I'd expect it to act the same but It seems like it may not...

leeshor

The first statement in the poll is virtually identical to the last statement.

I tell my customers that if they never have ANY problems with their computer it may have been that they forgot to turn it on.

Using identical computers I have a few customers always getting themselves into some type of trouble, others almost never. Those that do have problems usually is a result of a PEBKAC. (if you don't know, look it up).