What's new

I can't use a normal laptop anymore...

oion

Having a desktop at home, Surface 2 for mobile use, and a laptop at work that's always docked (thus as a desktop)...

At work I was forced to undock the laptop and use it that way for awhile, but I've come to realize I just can't use a normal laptop without constantly poking the screen! It's amazing how much more efficient a good touchscreen is for the point-n-click actions without having to draaaaaag the cursor and aim it somewhere using touchpad/eraser nub. Attaching a high-sensitivity mouse was the only way I could use my work laptop decently otherwise, but I now much prefer a touchscreen for any sort of mobile use.

Anyone else converted to something "minor" like this thanks to a Surface?

Omni

I was at a clients house recently and I poked there laptop screen... had to apologies as I did it quite hard... Id love a touchscreen desktop but cant justify the price as they are!

ibenzawla

Happens all the time with me actually. I rarely use a laptop/desktop without touching the screen. Frustrating in a good way I think. Its just so good that I hardly use my notebook anymore. My RT is the go to device for anything my Lumia 521 cannot handle.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I started poking my MacBook computers. Apple still has no portable touch screen offerings.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I started poking my MacBook computers, thanks to the Surface Pro 2. Apple still has no portable touch screen offerings.

kristalsoldier

I can relate to this too. I also find myself trying to swipe the browser (I use Mercury instead of Safari) on my iPad like I do on my Surface. My use of the Surface has indeed brought about a number of changes in how I do stuff...but oddly, I don't seem to face a problem when I am working on my desktop machine.

CrippsCorner

Same here I've gone to touch a non touchscreen monitor quite a few times! It's annoying... makes me laugh though. It's strange Apple still haven't gone down this road, I wonder if they will. Then again for people that aren't in the Surface world, they really don't know what they're missing but they are okay with that.

OP
O

oion

but oddly, I don't seem to face a problem when I am working on my desktop machine.

Yes, I find that curious too. The only reason I can think of is that my monitor is set too far away to poke, and the mouse is far more convenient. The only accidental swiping I've done is when I see a laptop with Windows 8 tiles (my dad's netbook), but Windows 7 doesn't register with me as "swipeable." Weird.

kristalsoldier

Yes, I find that curious too. The only reason I can think of is that my monitor is set too far away to poke, and the mouse is far more convenient. The only accidental swiping I've done is when I see a laptop with Windows 8 tiles (my dad's netbook), but Windows 7 doesn't register with me as "swipeable." Weird.

In my case I find that I don't use my laptop at all! I found this a bit surprising. I am used to ThinkPads and I love using them - especially the keyboards. But strangely, I don't seem to miss the ThinkPad, which is a shame because I do like them a lot!

Last edited:

TunaSurface

With the Surface the only downside I had with the touchscreen was the different gestures, windows has its own, different websites may have their own,
different applications have their own plus while in an app swiping from down to up brings up yet another menu.
It's really annoying, sometimes you don't know where to swipe from and where to.
Then there's the accidental swipes, happens too often on pages with touch support.

omega1234

Every once in a while I try to poke my Macbook Air's screen, I always find it funny when absolutely nothing happens, as I'm used to doing anything via touch on my Surface.