What's new

I'm I the only one that seldom uses the tiles?

SRVwannab

First, I love my Surface Pro 3. I am a compulsive note taker and I write on everything! Yellow pads, envelopes, receipts, even things that you definitely aren't supposed to write on. I've also learned that when I type notes, I don't really retain near as much information, and, I'm far less likely to type notes.

This led me to use my iPad for hand-written notes, using a good program called, "Notability." Unfortunately, the technology wasn't there! I went through several Stylui (is that the plural of "stylus"?) as those capacitive stylus' only last for two or three weeks (and, they didn't work that good when they did work-). This led me to buy a super expensive stylus, but that didn't solve the problem.

When I tried a stylus on a Surface Pro 2 the heaven's opened! This is exactly what I was looking for! That led me to the Surface Pro 3- which for me, worked even better. I've since migrated to the desktop version of One Note, which I really like, but I know I'm only scratching the surface (no pun intended...) of what it can do.

Unlike most of you (at least I imagine-) as a tablet, I don't like it much. Even the improved form factor still makes web-browsing (as a tablet) far less easy than on my iPad Air.

My son, who loves Windows and dislikes all things Mac, then set up the desktop side of 8.1 to work for me. Since he did that, I haven't looked back.

It has replaced my Macbook Air (but not my iPad, oddly enough) but, aside from phone, it is the one piece of technology that I spend the most time with and I can't be happier with it.

Am I the only one that seldom uses the tile side of their surface? My son configured mine so when I push the windows button it launches my desktop start menu. What a great product! And, the new keyboard is fantastic!

malberttoo

First, I love my Surface Pro 3. I am a compulsive note taker and I write on everything! Yellow pads, envelopes, receipts, even things that you definitely aren't supposed to write on. I've also learned that when I type notes, I don't really retain near as much information, and, I'm far less likely to type notes.

This led me to use my iPad for hand-written notes, using a good program called, "Notability." Unfortunately, the technology wasn't there! I went through several Stylui (is that the plural of "stylus"?) as those capacitive stylus' only last for two or three weeks (and, they didn't work that good when they did work-). This led me to buy a super expensive stylus, but that didn't solve the problem.

When I tried a stylus on a Surface Pro 2 the heaven's opened! This is exactly what I was looking for! That led me to the Surface Pro 3- which for me, worked even better. I've since migrated to the desktop version of One Note, which I really like, but I know I'm only scratching the surface (no pun intended...) of what it can do.

Unlike most of you (at least I imagine-) as a tablet, I don't like it much. Even the improved form factor still makes web-browsing (as a tablet) far less easy than on my iPad Air.

My son, who loves Windows and dislikes all things Mac, then set up the desktop side of 8.1 to work for me. Since he did that, I haven't looked back.

It has replaced my Macbook Air (but not my iPad, oddly enough) but, aside from phone, it is the one piece of technology that I spend the most time with and I can't be happier with it.

Am I the only one that seldom uses the tile side of their surface? My son configured mine so when I push the windows button it launches my desktop start menu. What a great product! And, the new keyboard is fantastic!

You are definitely not the only one, although I myself have embraced it. The "tile" interface aka Start screen, has pros and cons.

You will see some changes in Windows 10 that might make you happier. :)

Kris

I changed to windows 10 because I am not a fan of the tiles or metro ui...
I do you use some tiles on my start menu, but thats totally different than switching to a totally different screen to get to them.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I admit, I hated win 8 prior to the surface. For keyboard and mouse it was just crap. But a month later and I rarely find myself going to the start menu before the start screen. Its just grown on me and proves quite suitable for my needs. I should add, these needs are those of a casual user.

ctitanic

I admit, I hated win 8 prior to the surface. For keyboard and mouse it was just crap. But a month later and I rarely find myself going to the start menu before the start screen. Its just grown on me and proves quite suitable for my needs. I should add, these needs are those of a casual user.
I'm with you.

OP
S

SRVwannab

Inking has definitely gotten under my skin. I really couldn't live without it. For me, traditional note taking is the way that I actively listen and retain information.

I guess it is a little surprising how few people realize what the SP3 is capable of doing. I was at a conference last week and I can't tell you how many people saw me taking notes and asked me about my SP3. This feature really is a game changer.

Maybe over time I will get used to working with the tiles. My SP3 with a Type Cover and a Microsoft Wedge Mouse = bye, bye Macbook Air.

ctitanic

Inking has definitely gotten under my skin. I really couldn't live without it. For me, traditional note taking is the way that I actively listen and retain information.

I guess it is a little surprising how few people realize what the SP3 is capable of doing. I was at a conference last week and I can't tell you how many people saw me taking notes and asked me about my SP3. This feature really is a game changer.

Maybe over time I will get used to working with the tiles. My SP3 with a Type Cover and a Microsoft Wedge Mouse = bye, bye Macbook Air.
I was in a training the other day and was writing notes in a PDF file and the trainer stopped the training to check what I was doing and he was literally speechless.

wynand32

I was in a training the other day and was writing notes in a PDF file and the trainer stopped the training to check what I was doing and he was literally speechless.

I hope he didn't stay that way for long, or it must have been some long training... :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
RANT Warning with disclaimer: This isn't targeted at any individual, more of a user arch type observation....

I find this disdain for WinRT very troublesome and tiresome, it basically seems like...."I don't like change...." WinRT Apps have some very useful implementations, Drawboard PDF is the best PDF Annotator I've used, works well, lots of value and the ink is visible when opening on other PDF Readers. Next Issue is really good Magazine App, Nook is a great App.

Windowed WinRT Apps are annoying under most scenarios (the one exception is Tweetium) and MS needs to make it much easier to get, the Chrome and Taskbar take up too much valuable space.

The Modern UI gets out of the way....the Win32 Desktop just has to much wasted space for many scenarios. Windows 10 has potential as long as they don't walk back the Touch UI too far.

Last edited: