What's new

I'm I the only one that seldom uses the tiles?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 10 makes tiles and apps work like I've always wanted. Start Menu with tiles beats Start Screen with tiles. Microsoft saves itself from itself.

dniezby

I use ONLY the MUI and the ONLY time I use Desktop Applications is Office. Though, my Office is set up so that I can do everything by touch.

Nope, can't stand desktop. It's like going back in time and productivity. It's slower and doesn't have an easy to VIEW Interface.

When WOSX comes out, I will most certainly ONLY use the Start Screen. If it doesn't have it, then I won't be using it.

Only tile/metro app I use is IE - everything else, useless to me - I think the metro start menu is just a wallpaper right now, haven't checked lately.

dniezby

Only tile/metro app I use is IE - everything else, useless to me - I think the metro start menu is just a wallpaper right now, haven't checked lately.

Just curious... What could you possibly be using that you ONLY use MUI IE?

Curious to see what people spender their time on if they're not using Apps?

For me, the ONLY program I use is Office. I used Desktop IE only when I need to use a site that needs a little more slack on security.

Just curious... What could you possibly be using that you ONLY use MUI IE?

Curious to see what people spender their time on if they're not using Apps?

For me, the ONLY program I use is Office. I used Desktop IE only when I need to use a site that needs a little more slack on security.

Word/Excel/PowerPoint - sometimes I use different browsers, steam games, PhotoShop, Powershell, Task Manager - lots of stuff. Everything on the metro side just feels neutered and incomplete to me. I guess I do use OneNote sometimes though...

dniezby

Word/Excel/PowerPoint - sometimes I use different browsers, steam games, PhotoShop, Powershell, Task Manager - lots of stuff. Everything on the metro side just feels neutered and incomplete to me. I guess I do use OneNote sometimes though...

Okay, so pretty much the same thing as me. Except for Steam... I don't put that on ANY of my computers. Too much of a security risk. I use PhotoShop but the App not the desktop.

Power Shell? Task Manager? You consider those programs you use often? LOL, what are you trying to fix Stuck Desktop applications?

I used to use different browsers but then IE MUI came into being and I left Firefox and Chrome for it. Just nice seeing the full website without scroll or tool bars. Even in Desktop, I now hide everything I can.

Guess it's just that I like having a clean UI and desktop apps just don't deliver that. Though, thanks to settings in Office, I can now make it clutter free as well.

Okay, so pretty much the same thing as me. Except for Steam... I don't put that on ANY of my computers. Too much of a security risk. I use PhotoShop but the App not the desktop.

Power Shell? Task Manager? You consider those programs you use often? LOL, what are you trying to fix Stuck Desktop applications?

I used to use different browsers but then IE MUI came into being and I left Firefox and Chrome for it. Just nice seeing the full website without scroll or tool bars. Even in Desktop, I now hide everything I can.

Guess it's just that I like having a clean UI and desktop apps just don't deliver that. Though, thanks to settings in Office, I can now make it clutter free as well.

See to me, the Metro UI is the very definition of clutter. Coloured boxes everywhere that offer little to no customization - icons that are a year old with ones mixed in that are 10+ years old - looks horrid imo as I'm kind of a minimalist. Desktop is nice and clean - couple apps in my taskbar on the left side of the screen and a simple wallpaper.

dniezby

See to me, the Metro UI is the very definition of clutter. Coloured boxes everywhere that offer little to no customization - icons that are a year old with ones mixed in that are 10+ years old - looks horrid imo as I'm kind of a minimalist. Desktop is nice and clean - couple apps in my taskbar on the left side of the screen and a simple wallpaper.

OOH...I see how you're looking at the OS.
Now I wonder if that is the problem with WOS8 users that DON'T like it?

I don't look at the Start screen as an equivalent of the Desktop Mode -- Desktop? I look at the Start Screen as it's meant to be, a menu.

When I mean I like a clean UI I'm talking about the screen when a program is open. As for Tile Icons being a year old or ten years old I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't have that issue. I don't run ten year old programs. Can't blame icons on Windows though. Those come from the developer, not MS. Don't understand what that has to do with the OS at all anyway.

That's for this conversation though. It's really interesting to see how some think. IMHO, that's probably the problem WOS8 had. They didn't inform people that it's a menu driven OS, not a Desktop search and open system. Guess, they're going back in the past with WOSX.

OOH...I see how you're looking at the OS.
Now I wonder if that is the problem with WOS8 users that DON'T like it?

I don't look at the Start screen as an equivalent of the Desktop Mode -- Desktop? I look at the Start Screen as it's meant to be, a menu.

When I mean I like a clean UI I'm talking about the screen when a program is open. As for Tile Icons being a year old or ten years old I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't have that issue. I don't run ten year old programs. Can't blame icons on Windows though. Those come from the developer, not MS. Don't understand what that has to do with the OS at all anyway.

That's for this conversation though. It's really interesting to see how some think. IMHO, that's probably the problem WOS8 had. They didn't inform people that it's a menu driven OS, not a Desktop search and open system. Guess, they're going back in the past with WOSX.

The icons on the metro boxes - something like the control panel icon is ancient, then all the new metro apps have nice/new icons. Blowing them all up to big rectangles/boxes accentuates the awful contrast between the Metro UI and the desktop - for all the icon packs revs release for android, you'd think Microsoft could up their game and update these icons.

Also, why would you want a menu that takes up the whole screen like a multi-colored gumball machine, then have that same menu underneath all fanned out, when you can customize 1 button to bring up everything you want on the desktop? That's my thinking at least.

I can't wait for a return to the past if it means giving up a horrible future - win10 is their attempt at starting over and correcting the mistake of win8 that the majority of users despised - if that wasn't the case, they'd be building upon win8 and not doing a 180. Continuum will always be there though for touch interfaces at least.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to remember is the new MUI Environment hasn't it been released yet and we also know they will be a desktopless SKU so there is hope for those of us who prefer the Modern UI.

dniezby

One thing to remember is the new MUI Environment hasn't it been released yet and we also know they will be a desktopless SKU so there is hope for those of us who prefer the Modern UI.

God I hope so. Though, I don't want an exclusive system. There are 1 maybe 2 programs I have no choice but to use in desktop.