What's new

Incipio "capture" and "feather" cases for Surface

OP
O

oion

I found it here at Best Buy: Incipio feather Case for Microsoft Surface RT MRSF-044 - Best Buy

I considered getting one for the Surface 2, but then I realized: the back covers the 2 new sensors next to the camera (I don't believe that Surface RT has them.) I'll pass for now. Also, only Black is available at this time. Hopefully, a Surface 2 version will be released...

Thanks for the note. Incipio's official website is very wrong. :p And a Surface RT snap-on wouldn't fit besides the new Surface 2 sensors--the Surface 2 is actually thinner as well. Not by much, but possibly enough to be noticeably loose in a case of that nature.

MSY_

Agreed. The only thing we have going here is another user using it for his/her Surface 2, and apparently liking it. 0.1" may not be much of a difference, but covering up the sensors, that's a no for me. Of course, you could always go buy it at Best Buy and try it, but nah. Sensor thing. :)

Thanks for the note. Incipio's official website is very wrong. :p And a Surface RT snap-on wouldn't fit besides the new Surface 2 sensors--the Surface 2 is actually thinner as well. Not by much, but possibly enough to be noticeably loose in a case of that nature.

enolamyecart

Didnt fit Surface Pro 1

Alright guys and gals, I wanted to call out these two products because they don't exist yet and after contacting Incipio, they said they didn't have plans for the second generation Surface ("at this time"). (!)

They look to be very high quality prototypes. If you're interested at all--neither case type exists for the Surface from any other vendor (rugged and snap-on)--I suggest you contact their customer support to express that interest. The molded snap-on case looks very minimalistic and protective to me, unlike the slide-in bulky folding book ones that don't seem to protect the corners.

I bought the Feather case for the SP1. I tried it and it didn't fit properly. There are 2 small clips that hold onto the kickstand on either side. If you don't get it in the first time the clip becomes slightly damaged and wont accommodate the kickstand. I tried it again and got it in...HOWEVER, there seems to be about 1mm extra needed to fit the kickstand in properly. Once in, it bows the kickstand and wont close properly, thus the need for the tiny bit of extra notched out space in the case. I called Incipio and asked about it. At the time (2 weeks ago) the rep hadn't even gotten the case in hand to try out. They were 'out of stock' at incipio, so the support people hadn't even had a chance to play with it. She recommended I exchange it for another, which I did. Tried it again at the MS store, and sure enough...same issue with a different case so I returned completely.
I also have to mention that this thing is TIGHT. it was so difficult to pull off of my SP, that the 2nd Feather case broke while trying to get it off. Got money back.
So, I live in the REAL WORLD, and I like products to just work. This is a GREAT idea for a case and I'd buy again if they fix the flaws. It seems they pushed it out to soon. I may try it again if they fix these minor flaws.
Anyone else have the same issue? I hope the people at Incipio can get this right because they'd have a winner of a case.

OP
O

oion

So, I live in the REAL WORLD, and I like products to just work. This is a GREAT idea for a case and I'd buy again if they fix the flaws. It seems they pushed it out to soon. I may try it again if they fix these minor flaws.
Anyone else have the same issue? I hope the people at Incipio can get this right because they'd have a winner of a case.

Read the thread. We have one person who likes it, one who removed it due to overheating during gaming with no mention of a faulty case, and another who posted an obviously faulty case. That's a pretty small sample size. The question is whether or not Incipio will continue the product line with the second generation Surfaces--Surface Pro 2 happens to have the same chassis as Pro 1, so there's no pressure to further develop there, but there's no indication at all for a Surface 2 case. :/

Kumamon

Just saw this on Youtube and thought might be useful here - [video=youtube;2W9W7dO7X_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W9W7dO7X_M[/video]

Easyryder01

I have tried the feather and the capture, to start with the feather you are correct about the fit for the stand in the back but I realized that the case cover for the stand once you close it and you slide the cover up tighter onto the SP stand it closes properly. The problem lies in the material connecting that part to the case itself that whenever you open it it stretches out to accommodate the flip but does not slip back into place when you close it. The Capture in the other hand is a great rugged otter box version for the SP. Thing is it has a lot of drawbacks as far as that you can't use the keyboard, the stand can't be used and the rubber secondary shell to it did not sit very well in my opinion on the top by the camera, and the starp handle in the back to me was too loose but yet functional. The fit and finish I would give it an 8.5 out of 10. I will give the feather case another week to see if something can be done with the stand issue or if I will deal with it due to the fact that there is nothing out there remotely close to it to protect my investment.

OP
O

oion

Nice find, Kumamon. The swirly text effects are a little meh, but gets the point across. :p So those bits are magnets, interesting.

I have tried the feather and the capture, to start with the feather you are correct about the fit for the stand in the back but I realized that the case cover for the stand once you close it and you slide the cover up tighter onto the SP stand it closes properly. The problem lies in the material connecting that part to the case itself that whenever you open it it stretches out to accommodate the flip but does not slip back into place when you close it. The Capture in the other hand is a great rugged otter box version for the SP. Thing is it has a lot of drawbacks as far as that you can't use the keyboard, the stand can't be used and the rubber secondary shell to it did not sit very well in my opinion on the top by the camera, and the starp handle in the back to me was too loose but yet functional. The fit and finish I would give it an 8.5 out of 10. I will give the feather case another week to see if something can be done with the stand issue or if I will deal with it due to the fact that there is nothing out there remotely close to it to protect my investment.

Good details to know, thanks.

As for the Capture, since that has a handle/grip, I imagine it's designed for pure field use with the stylus and that's it. It's for a specialized niche, that's for sure.

I sure hope they or another company would continue down these lines, because as you say, there's nothing else like these on the market for the Surface right now. Maybe I'll toss in a vote for OtterBox.

Kumamon

Nice find, Kumamon. The swirly text effects are a little meh, but gets the point across. :p So those bits are magnets, interesting.

No problems. I was looking intently at getting one until I saw the video and read this thread. Instead I went with a Moko Detachable case, that and a screen protector seem like it will do nicely for me. An Otterbox would be fantastic but can't imagine them going near the Surface anytime soon...

FG56

I bought the Incipio Feather case from Best Buy just to see if it would work on my Surface 2 and as posted previously the answer is worse than anyone suspected who hasn't tried it, the rear hole for the camera and sensors do not line up and also as stated previously the sensor holes are covered completely, also the USB 3.0 port does not align with the case and it covers it partially but being there is only a few thousanths of an inch difference between the Surface RT and Surface 2 the case does fit the surface 2 without any looseness and all other holes for volume ,on-off all seem to align, but for $26.00 US I was not willing to get out my Dremel and start modifying it so I returned it to Best Buy for a refund !

Last edited:

bulls96

One advantage of this case that I recently discovered is that if you have the original Surface, it actually allows you to have different angles for your kickstand, because the part of the case that is for the kickstand can actually bend over other angles and are pretty stable. Of course the Surface's kickstand will have to be unattached to the case for you to do this.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

OP
O

oion

One advantage of this case that I recently discovered is that if you have the original Surface, it actually allows you to have different angles for your kickstand, because the part of the case that is for the kickstand can actually bend over other angles and are pretty stable. Of course the Surface's kickstand will have to be unattached to the case for you to do this.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

That IS interesting. Since apparently the kickstand flap is attached with magnets (that can fall off), that makes sense. But if it's freely flapping about, I assume the bottom edge on both the kickstand flap and the Surface have enough friction to sit sturdily?

Maybe that's a better fix for the Incipio Feather case that has a few examples here of those glued magnets falling off or being stuck to the wrong place. Just make the kickstand flap more sturdy to allow multiple angles.

MSY_

Alright guys... Incipio's Feather case bugged me enough that I went to Best Buy, bought one, tried it out on the Surface 2, and well, I returned it. See the pictures. Hope this helps the rest of you :) I know, it's made for the Surface RT, but someone here said they bought it for their Surface 2.

2013-11-26 20.47.26.jpg

Bad fit at the Start button:
2013-11-26 20.47.46.jpg

Openings don't match:
2013-11-26 20.48.12.jpg

Back microphone covered:
2013-11-26 20.48.41.jpg

Ports don't match:
2013-11-26 20.49.29.jpg

Ports don't match:
2013-11-26 20.49.42.jpg

And yes, putting on this case, you no longer get that tactile feedback/sound of the kickstand opening and closing. I was also unable to get it to open to position 2 without fear of breaking the kickstand. I tried multiple times. In position 1, it barely stayed up.

Don't buy this case for the Surface 2.