What's new

Installing Windows 8.1 RT on Surface RT

OP
Omni

Omni

So, The leak image contains only English. I have to wait to the language pack comes out, Right?

Honestly I'm not certain. I tried changing the language on mine and it says unavailable. What language you after?

RH5

I let my battery drain from my surface n now it seems to be good. lost 5% in 13 hours in connected standby on 8.1 RTM. btw thanks for this tut omni

beman39

gawd I hate XDA forums, I've never seen a bunch of obnoxious, condescending and rude people in my life! asking for help on there is like your asking them to pull a tooth also forget it if your not technologically knowledgeable like them, they have no patience for you like your beneath them or something like that... and most of their answers are so rude they make you feel like crap just because you asked a question... that place sucks big time

williamd

hello need a little help. installed 8.1 . need to see if this is true. i have no way to make a usb recovery of 8.1 . went to recovery and clicked but the little box to check is grayed out. can someone ck to see if theres is able to copy recovery drive. thanks

williamd

i did start with windows 8 .0 with no recovery drive . i had already copied to thumb drive and had deleted the recovery to gain the 3.5 gb of space . Is that the reason i didn't get recovery drive in 8.1 . do you have to start out with a recovery drive on 8.0? please help.

im thinking the way it works is if you have the 8.0 recovery image, it then up grades to 8.1 but if you don't have the recovery image on your hd then it does not upgrade or installs one. it must think you already have the original . but I would like the recovery of 8.1 so you don't have to restart from 8.0. Do you think Microsoft messed up here or did this on purpose?

Last edited:

williamd

this is what I found so far . I also installed 8.1 on my laptop from widows 7 and I didn't get a recovery image either. so im guessing that you have to have the recovery image on the hd for windows 8.1 to update it.

I will be reinstalling m laptop to 8.0 and then installing 8.1 also I have my surface reinstalling 8.0 off my recovery usb and then I wil install 8.1 oer that to se if it includes the recovery image. let me know if anyone has any info on this.thanks

williamd

so this is what I came to on the surface rt .
restored to original 8.0 from usb recovery image . it installed my recovery image as it did in the past . then I installed 8.1 and bingo my 8.1 recovery image was there and I made a usb recovery of it . but this time im not deleting . one reason is I only have 6. gb used space on my hard drive. so that's it for the surface no im gog to do the same for my laptop. hope this helps others who were wondering why they couldn't make a usb backup . you have to have the recovery image from 8.0 on the surface to start with.

gawd I hate XDA forums, I've never seen a bunch of obnoxious, condescending and rude people in my life! asking for help on there is like your asking them to pull a tooth also forget it if your not technologically knowledgeable like them, they have no patience for you like your beneath them or something like that... and most of their answers are so rude they make you feel like crap just because you asked a question... that place sucks big time
I am sorry to hear you had such bad experience on XDA. My experience is quite the opposite and I hope you will find a better experience if you ever go back there. I truly believe that XDA is a great place. Would you mind posting a link to the rude response you received? It certainly can't be from me. It takes time sometimes for somebody to answer. Everybody has a life besides their hobbies and it often happens that responses to a question can take even days.

Last edited:

beman39

^^^ it's just not my posts or me personally, it's also other people that needed help and they got rude responses! I have been with XDA forums since 2008 ever since I had my windows HTC touch phone and even way back then some where rude when asking how to mod it, now I'm not going to start combing threads on XDA and posting here but lets just say that some have been so rude that I haven't went back on that site for years! and don't get me wrong I'm not saying ALL of em are rude...but ALOT are. there is this ARROGANCE that can be felt even through the internet lol anyways back on topic