What's new

Is it worth buying the new SP4 type cover to use on my SP3?

Wiidesire

I just got my Type Cover in Germany. I agree with everyone here, it's a huge improvement in literally every aspect. Key travel bigger, typing quieter, key distance to each other increased, new key layout including print button etc., better feeling trackpad + increased in size... One thing I haven't seen anyone mention here: Because the SP4 bezel is smaller, you can now touch the SP3 taskbar way more easily + the smaller fold-up doesn't destroy the looks of the SP3 at all.

Advice for new owners: deactivate the Pinch to Zoom option in the settings. Makes the Touchpad so much more responsive, it's amazing.

I have also no problem with the new Type Cover magnets, even though I have the official Microsoft tempered glass protector applied to my SP3. They hold just as fine as they do with the original cover. No improvement in strength, though.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just received my new typecover... man doesn't it STINK! I think the Sp3 one did too when it was new, though it's faded pretty quickly already

I like it a lot so far, the typing experience is vastly better. The track pad feels better but as I'm primarily a screen-prodder I haven't used it a lot. I think the trackpad click is a lot louder than the previous version's was, though less "hollow" sounding.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm still on the fence. However every time i start typing on the type cover 3, i realise how great it is, and that makes me think that however much of an improvement the new one is, the old one is still perfectly fine. More like replacing it because I can than replacing it because i actually need to. same argument as the SP4 really. Sure it is better but the sp3 is still a great machine that quite happily does the job required :)

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm still on the fence. However every time i start typing on the type cover 3, i realise how great it is, and that makes me think that however much of an improvement the new one is, the old one is still perfectly fine. More like replacing it because I can than replacing it because i actually need to. same argument as the SP4 really. Sure it is better but the sp3 is still a great machine that quite happily does the job required :)
I feel the same way, though I'm not updating the surface itself. I even used it at work today as I happened to have I with me so I could test out the type cover. I don't usually take it to work as I can't access the work network on it but it was useful for annotating a diagram I was doing!!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
After two weeks with the Surface Book, I've rediscovered love for my Surface Pro 3.
Love the Book.

The Surface Pro 3, though, is a fine machine and has served me well for over a year at home, in the field, and on world trips.

So I pulled off all the StickerBoy vinyl skins to find a beautiful, preserved Surface surface, and applied fresh skins, same texture. Also applied the skins to the new Type Cover 4 with fingerprint reader. I like the new keyboard function and feel.

byron_hinson

Does anyone know if the new trackpad on the type cover 4 stops the really irritating "mouse pointer moves as you lift your finger issue". Love the typing - but completely had the trackpad on this. Just hoping the new type cover for SP4 stops it.

ScottyS

As promised, here are my impressions of the new Type Cover, including a comparison in color between Teal & Black. Maybe it will help someone decide :)

Thanks for this video. I'm still on the fence and will ultimately have to go see it and try it in person, but you video is a good side-by-side comparison.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice video. I could try it myself as I have both but I wondered if you compared the sounds of the keyboards when the typecover is folded up against the screen. I never use the typecover flat like you show in the video, it's always attached to the bottom bezel.

I had noticed the loudness of the touchpad click. The material on the new typecover doesn't feel as soft as the older version too which was nice and "strokeable". However I still really much prefer the experience of using the new typecover.

Last edited:

InspectHerGadget

I got my SP4 Type cover today. Red, just like the old one. It is much improved and gets the thumbs up. The typing experience is much improved in every way. If you touch type I would definitely recommend it.

The touchpad is much better too.

The other thing is that the cursor isn't jumping which used to happen on both my Surface 2 devices, the Surface 3, an SP2 and SP3. They've finally licked a really annoying issue that plagued all these tablets.

It is great to be able to upgrade these covers without being forced to buy a new tablet as well. Money well spent.

InspectHerGadget

Does anyone know if the new trackpad on the type cover 4 stops the really irritating "mouse pointer moves as you lift your finger issue". Love the typing - but completely had the trackpad on this. Just hoping the new type cover for SP4 stops it.
The mouse movement is solid on the new cover. The whole base has less flex.