What's new

Is it worth buying the new SP4 type cover to use on my SP3?

InspectHerGadget

Microsoft have so nailed the type cover for the Pro 4. I think it is so good, it really is up there with a good laptop for keyboard and mouse performance. It isn't just a lovely trackpad or keyboard but no more cursor skipping to unwanted locations or blocks of text disappearing either. This cursor issue has driven me mad on a all the previous type cover iterations on earlier model Pro and the Surface RT and Surface 2/3.

Finally fixed and honestly it is satisfying to be able to replace the type cover separately to the the computer itself. If it weren't for this I would have probably sold the Pro 3 and bought the Pro 4.

Well done Microsoft.

leeshor

On Sunday I delivered a SP4 I set up for my niece. Her husband uses a SP3 for work. She sent me a message last night that he had set both up on the counter and was comparing the 2 then started using the SP4 for some browsing. It sounds to me like he's willing to fork over his own money to get an SP4 type cover for his company SP3. He couldn't believe the difference.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Its just too bad the Pro 4 cover fails to work properly. Even the volume up and down keys dont work half of the time. Fail by MS and to charge $170cdn for it is simply fraud. They might as well sell an empty box.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its just too bad the Pro 4 cover fails to work properly. Even the volume up and down keys dont work half of the time. Fail by MS and to charge $170cdn for it is simply fraud. They might as well sell an empty box.

How is it fraud when there is a returns policy? You seem to have a really big thing about paying extras for MS accessories, it's all i seem to read.

My sp4 type cover is flawless. No fraud here. Worth every penny :)

nb. I state worth every penny, but i would never have bought it if i hadn't given my sp3 and typecover to the missus for her birthday. Sp4 type cover is brilliant, but the Sp3 one is still just great.

InspectHerGadget

Save words and effort and just say you got a faulty one...

InspectHerGadget

How is it fraud when there is a returns policy? You seem to have a really big thing about paying extras for MS accessories, it's all i seem to read.

My sp4 type cover is flawless. No fraud here. Worth every penny :)

nb. I state worth every penny, but i would never have bought it if i hadn't given my sp3 and typecover to the missus for her birthday. Sp4 type cover is brilliant, but the Sp3 one is still just great.

I use mine all during the day for work so every day I use the new Pro 4 type cover, it reminds me just how much better it is. I really put up with some, in retrospect, rather severe shortcomings with previous type covers. My wife has the Surface 2 and was always complaining about losing text. It got sick and required a return to Microsoft this month, was fixed and sent back promptly. All good. All good, except she had been using my MBA 11 inch for the week or so and couldn't give it up to go back to the Surface 2. The reason was the trackpad and the keyboard. She didn't like either one and after using the MBA which has a fantastic keyboard and trackpad, there was no going back. I wish I could upgrade that type cover too.

vsherry

I finally bought a second type cover 4, and this one actually works. I do appreciate the feel. It's a far better keyboard to me. Somehow I find that the backlight on the previous type cover was more distinct, however.

skidd

I finally bought a second type cover 4, and this one actually works. I do appreciate the feel. It's a far better keyboard to me. Somehow I find that the backlight on the previous type cover was more distinct, however.

Was hoping for a BF deal on the new keyboard or pen ... :-(

Wallzii

I'd just like for my local Staples to get their Type Cover 4's in stock already so I can upgrade. They have their single display model in, and haven't had any inventory since the new type cover was released; it is especially frustrating because they also have no clue when their shipments will arrive. I have ~$120 of in-store credit there, so I have to keep waiting. I really just want my type cover...