What's new

is SP3 really "in stores" - can i go check it out?

Klownicle

Finally got to try one at the Local Best Buy. Couple notes;

Speakers are still crap, all that has been done is "Enhancements" in the Sound Properties for the Mixer are turned on. Turn those off, and the speakers are just terrible. With this turned off I couldn't even hear them in a semi quit soon to be closed BestBuy. This is the exact same way with the previous gen models. The difference is now they are front faced speakers and the enhancements are on by default. If anything, unlike the previous generation the enhancements sometimes had a possibility of making things too loud and distorting it. So it appeared that they have worked on this.

Next on the block is the Surface Pen, unfortunately the model I had a chance to play with... must not have been setup properly. I tried to use the Surface Pro OneNote button and it didn't work. Come to find out it wasn't paired with the tablet. I went through the pairing bluetooth only to get "Driver Error" when attempting to pair it. So all I got to see was the standard Pen input capabilities. I couldn't test writing much at all because OneNote wasn't even configured to load. It needed a Microsoft account? Where's Allison when you need her?

The tablet isn't as light as I was hoping it would feel, but its much better now. I think it had alot to do with it being attached to the workstation area. But still, no real complaints here.

I used the tablet for a good 30minutes and got used to the touchpad without issue. I've never been a big fan of the integrated left and right click options with singular trackpads. So I'm basis to say I didn't enjoy it that much. However, unlike most designs I find with this, the left click didn't move the mouse when I would click. So that's good.

The kickstand, no issues here, I do worry about wear over time. But they said they tested this without issue in its design.

Typing, given it was my first TypeCover experience, I had no problems typing on it.

Overall, I'm still sold and await a nice upgrade from my Surface Pro first gen.

CrippsCorner

I've never had a distortion sound with my Surface Pro? It isn't that loud, but I don't often use the internal speakers... only time I do really is when I'm watching stuff in the bath lol, then I have to have the volume on 100% but it does sounds just right tbh.

cdf3

BestBuy in my area do not have it for display. Guess I'll stop by the Microsoft Store to check it out.

Klownicle

I've never had a distortion sound with my Surface Pro? It isn't that loud, but I don't often use the internal speakers... only time I do really is when I'm watching stuff in the bath lol, then I have to have the volume on 100% but it does sounds just right tbh.

As with most soundcards there are enhancements that can be made at the most basic level. One of these enhancements is "Loudness Equalization". I believe... If you turn this on with the first generation Surface Pro, it will make your speakers much more bearable. While the Surface 2 Pro had louder speakers it was because this was now enabled by default. The same applies with the Surface Pro 3, however they are cheating by aiming the speakers back towards the viewer. Although this is a much welcomed improvement, they are truly not louder. As I said previously these enhancements are now on by default. In the Surface Pro 3 demo unit I played with, they have now bundled all the "enhancements" into a single checkbox called "Enhancements". If you turn this off, the speakers go back to the exact same way they are in the Surface Pro first generation. Tiny and small.

The distortion I spoke of happens when these enhancements were turned on the Surface Pro first generation. However with the Surface Pro 2, they refined these which allowed it to be on by default.

Next time I play with the Surface, I'll take a screen cap for giggles to show you what I'm talking about, but try it yourself. You will be sourly (surprised yet disappointed to see they are unchanged in their true design.

eltos_lightfoot

Do people really expect the speakers to be that great on a device as thin and light as the SP3? I am not hating or anything, just trying to understand the idea behind such expectations. My MacBook Air 11" doesn't do that bad considering how tiny and thin it is, but next to a MacBook Pro 15"? It doesn't sound so good...which makes sense right? I mean if you really want rich sound, aren't you going to need some actual speakers with heft? Or at least a Bluetooth something or other...

CrippsCorner

As with most soundcards there are enhancements that can be made at the most basic level. One of these enhancements is "Loudness Equalization". I believe... If you turn this on with the first generation Surface Pro, it will make your speakers much more bearable. While the Surface 2 Pro had louder speakers it was because this was now enabled by default. The same applies with the Surface Pro 3, however they are cheating by aiming the speakers back towards the viewer. Although this is a much welcomed improvement, they are truly not louder. As I said previously these enhancements are now on by default. In the Surface Pro 3 demo unit I played with, they have now bundled all the "enhancements" into a single checkbox called "Enhancements". If you turn this off, the speakers go back to the exact same way they are in the Surface Pro first generation. Tiny and small.

The distortion I spoke of happens when these enhancements were turned on the Surface Pro first generation. However with the Surface Pro 2, they refined these which allowed it to be on by default.

Next time I play with the Surface, I'll take a screen cap for giggles to show you what I'm talking about, but try it yourself. You will be sourly (surprised yet disappointed to see they are unchanged in their true design.

Was never aware of this. I will give it a go for sure, where abouts are these options!?

jedge

Had to go to 3 Best Buy stores but finally found one on display. Loved it. It's absolutely perfect, i can't wait till they start shipping.

Everything was "tied" down, but i was still able to use it uninterrupted and kinda get used to it. I chatted with the sales guy was very knowledgeable and said they've had quite a bit of interest. I liked the size, the weight, they keyboard, and the pen. I'm a HUGE OneNote fanatic. I have practically my whole life wrapped up in it, and have been using a pen-input tablet in one form or another for 6+ years. I have also used many trackpads in my days and this one will suit me just fine. No need to carry around a mouse at all. The SP3 is going to be like heaven.

I pre-ordered the dark purple keyboard... maybe i should have gone with black? For some reason i was thinking the chassis was all black. Black+purple = great. Silver+purple = eh? And i'm wondering if i should cancel my pre-order and instead just get it from the Microsoft Store. The closest one is over 2 hours away though, ugh. I think i might. I know it's an absolute pain in the butt to cancel a microsoft pre-order (i had to do it once before) but I really hate the idea of it shipping ON the 20th, and then i don't get it till the next week at earliest.

Can anyone confirm or refute that these will shipped to ARRIVE on the 20th?, what has Microsoft done in the past?

My only complaints: 1) i'm a bit leery of the kickstand, it looks kinda complex with a lot of moving parts, i'm afraid it will get crud in there or break. 2) the demo unit didn't have a pen loop on the keyboard... but in pictures i've seen it basically just hangs off to the side. Not sure i want a $50 pen hanging off the end of the tablet.

Last edited:

Odyssey

Can anyone confirm or refute that these will shipped to ARRIVE on the 20th?, what has Microsoft done in the past?

For the SP2, I received my order on the day of release, so they shipped it before the release date. However, we really won't know for sure until a day or two before release if the status on the Microsoft online store says "shipped." So if you absolutely must have it on the 20th, your best bet would be to preorder it at the retail Microsoft Store. I would preorder it first at the Microsoft Store before canceling your online order.

Mikeyqp

For some reason i thought preordering it from microsoft website was the fastest way to get it. Ugh, Now I'm thinking if I should have just done the microsoft store or best buy route :(

For some reason i thought preordering it from microsoft website was the fastest way to get it. Ugh, Now I'm thinking if I should have just done the microsoft store or best buy route :(
I think if you ordered it they are going to try and have it delivered on launch date or you can pick it up in the Microsoft store. Someone posted that BestBuy will lag about 2 days behind the Microsoft store but we won't know for sure until the 20th. Only reason I'm purchasing from BestBuy when the i7 comes out is to get the MyBestBuy pionts... unless I can find it online somewhere that doesn't have a store front in my state so I don't have to pay sales tax. I'm in Washington State and so Microsoft, BestBuy, Amazon Fry's and CDW are all located here :-(