What's new

Screen protectors for SP3?

Liam2349

I feel like I want to get the ZAGG Invisible Shield HD. I would check out the glass one if it was available in the UK.

Does anyone know how thick the HD is? How is removal? Residue?

Liam2349

A few days ago, I tried about 10 times to buy the InvisibleShield HD directly from ZAGG but every time, an error page loaded after I typed all my details.

However, I think it was for the best as I've now found something that should be better. I tested out a tempered glass screen protector on my Note 3, and it's amazing. Seriously, there is zero loss in responsiveness. The pen works even with the lightest of touches, just as before. I've ordered a tempered glass screen protector for my SP3 now from Amazon, from a German seller.

I found some on ebay for cheaper but they were all from China... I feel like this German one should be of higher quality, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

jimaiwr

If you get a dry install, more than likely you'll have dust under the protector. Wet install, even when there is dust in the solution, will dry flat and get rid of all air bubbles, if you follow directions. I haven't had any dust under the protector with all of my wet installs. If you do a dry install, do it the bathroom and run the shower hot for a few minutes to steam up. The steam captures most of the dust particles and you should have an easier install.

damn genius, never heard of that one

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
It has been awhile since a new post on this thread, but I must say that I have the Zagg Glass Screen Protector for Surface Pro 3, and am very happy with it.

I paid about US$52 from BestBuy, and chose to pick the item up in the store same day. The installation was easier than any screen protector I've ever used (except the freezer bag which kept my iPhone safe by the pool in Jamaica a few months ago) :) A nice 'handle' is supplied over the glass so that during installation, you don't even need to handle the corners. And a single poke at the center causes an automatic seal to grow outwards. I had three 'bubbles', two small and one larger, which were easily worked out using the supplied cloth. These bubbles are nothing like a plastic protector, because the glass is stiff; bubbles can easily be moved to the edge. The feel of the glass is silky smooth, and pen operation is flawless.

I have Zagg Glass on two iPhones also. On my Surface Pro 3, and both phones, I very soon forgot I even had the protectors applied, as they were so natural.

A great product.

hadrian

Is a screen protector really necessary? I dont baby my device and it has no scratches. The smudging does annoy me though--do the protectors hlp w tht?

Liam2349

Is a screen protector really necessary? I dont baby my device and it has no scratches. The smudging does annoy me though--do the protectors hlp w tht?

Not really necessary but can put your mind at ease. I have a glass one to try out - got it a couple days ago.

My main concern is parallax.

Chuck_IV

I have been extremely happy with the illumiShield Ultraclear HD screen protector. It doesn't impede on the touch sensitivity it and while initially it wasn't quite as "slick" as the actual screen, after a few hours of use, it works great.

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... The smudging does annoy me though--do the protectors hlp w tht?

The glass protector helps tremendously with fingerprints, grime, dirt, smudges. I don't quite understand how that works, but it does. The Surface screen is nice and smooth, but not as smooth as this Zagg glass, and the Zagg remains cleaner. This is a must for me, because some of my use is outdoors, and some in various offices with those infernal fluorescent fixtures everywhere.

Dblkk

The glass protector helps tremendously with fingerprints, grime, dirt, smudges. I don't quite understand how that works, but it does. The Surface screen is nice and smooth, but not as smooth as this Zagg glass, and the Zagg remains cleaner. This is a must for me, because some of my use is outdoors, and some in various offices with those infernal fluorescent fixtures everywhere.
Just picked up the Zaag Glass cover from BB last night. Weary about opening it and putting it on, as its $55. See that you have the same cover, what are you opinions on it now that you've had it a while? How is the pen input, is it different at all. Like the range, responsiveness, ect. How is the glare from sunlight? Artificial light? Any reduction in screen quality, like brightness, clearness, or colors and vibrancy?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Just picked up the Zaag Glass cover from BB last night. Weary about opening it and putting it on, as its $55. See that you have the same cover, what are you opinions on it now that you've had it a while? How is the pen input, is it different at all. Like the range, responsiveness, ect. How is the glare from sunlight? Artificial light? Any reduction in screen quality, like brightness, clearness, or colors and vibrancy?

The cover is perfection. Glare from sunlight much less than if a plastic cover was used (I have lots of experience with gloss and matte plastic covers, self-healing and brittle). Pen input is slick and responsive. Clearness/color so good, I can't tell I have glass on. In particular, I've learned to study the tiny dots on the left and right of portions of the taskbar for parallax or loss of resolution. Still very happy.

Pick a particular screen area to study with your eyes for the before and after impressions. Here's the area I like to inspect...
Screenshot (50).png

lonaysta

I was among the first users of Zagg Glass SP for SP3 and tried 2 of it. I have to say it does suffer from touchscreen sensitivity reduction in my case. Pen is perfect while finger is not.
I first noticed this as a general issue on Incipio's Plex Shield for Surface Pro 3. And I returned that to Incipio after determining this issue. Uploaded a video to YouTube to demonstrate it when I requested return.
The Zagg one, in my case, is quite similar to Incipio's regarding reduction in touchscreen sensitivity. The phenomenon is exactly the same. In fact Zagg's is a little bit thicker than Incipio's, and the cut is not so "to the edge" as the Incipio's, which means Zagg's is easier to install.
I started to think if there is something wrong with my Surface Pro 3 itself, but it behaves perfectly without a SP. However my Surface had something wrong with its digitizer and I got an exchanged one from Microsoft. So, gonna test Zagg again on this one. Thanks to Zagg, they offer free replacement if your device is sent to the manufacturer for service.
Though I still doubt the touchscreen performance.

Dblkk

The picture posted above, I don't understand what im supposed to be looking for.

As for the Zagg case, I decided to open and install it. Figuring I guess at worst id just be pissed and take it off and just run without one.

But upon opening it, I then started to clean my screen, noticed a very small scratch/crack in my screen (only about a mm or less). While I was occupied with that, I took out the zagg glass cover and started to put it on, until I noticed a huge what looked like crack. Pretty much from bottom to top 3/4 of the way from right to left. Thought maybe it was just from the film, as I pulled the film I not only realized it was the glass that was cracked, but the bottom right (where the crack starts/stops) was all spiderwebbed.

So, not sure about either trying a new one or not. But fact that my newer sp3 is already small hairline crack/scratch, really makes me want to have a protector on the screen.