What's new

Loss of Internet

mikecox

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with my SB!

There appears to be a graphics card issue because Adobe's Premiere Elements will not run previews smoothly, making project nearly impossible preview! Now I am having an issue with losing the Internet.

I have had my provider out to check their router and "the signal is strong but the SB isn't receiving it."

I just now lost my connection again and, not until I rebooted my SB, did I get it back.

I'm beginning to wonder if my investment in SB was a wise one.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@mikecox

Check the channel your WiFi is on. Remember that neighbors can add their WiFi to the same channels you are using. Channels can become crowded. Your issue sounds like you should adjust your broadcast channel.

Channels 1, 6, and 11 used to be the clearest, but since these are the defaults for most modems, they have become crowded. Try another channel.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

@mikecox

Check the channel your WiFi is on. Remember that neighbors can add their WiFi to the same channels you are using. Channels can become crowded. Your issue sounds like you should adjust your broadcast channel.

Channels 1, 6, and 11 used to be the clearest, but since these are the defaults for most modems, they have become crowded. Try another channel.
Makes sense, and I've even wondered it that might be what's going on, though I didn't bring it up when the ISP tech was here, I figured he'd know about that as a possible solution to my losing access. But, since I posted this message it hasn't happened again. But I will contact my ISP, again, and ask them how to change the channels on their Router, which I've only had for a couple weeks. I didn't have this problem with my Linksys router. But when my Modem when south I decided to rent and the Modem Cox used now and a combined modem/Router and I have no idea how to switch the channels.

Thanks, it's good to know that this isn't a hardware issue!

jtrox02

I lose internet for a couple seconds a few times a day on my SP4. Seems to be totally random. I am using Ethernet connection now, so it has nothing to do with wifi. Although I did have the same problem much worse with wifi before some recent updates.
I can't find any help regarding such a random loss of internet connection anywhere. I've seen it drop even when not actively using computer, but it always seems to come back on in a couple seconds.
Fortunately it hasn't dropped when on a call yet but it's frustrating it doesn't work properly.
I don't believe the router ever loses connection. At least based on the lights. And the router would takes much longer to reconnect.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I lose internet for a couple seconds a few times a day on my SP4. Seems to be totally random. I am using Ethernet connection now, so it has nothing to do with wifi. Although I did have the same problem much worse with wifi before some recent updates.
I can't find any help regarding such a random loss of internet connection anywhere. I've seen it drop even when not actively using computer, but it always seems to come back on in a couple seconds.
Fortunately it hasn't dropped when on a call yet but it's frustrating it doesn't work properly.
I don't believe the router ever loses connection. At least based on the lights. And the router would takes much longer to reconnect.

A nearby microwave oven emitter just starting up may be the culprit!

jtrox02

I can't tell if you are serious or not! An odd cause to an odd problem perhaps except there is most often no one else in the house when it happens and the nearest possible microwave from neighbor has to be at least 30-40 feet away, through many walls including 12" cinder block.

My point to the original poster was just that it could be a Windows or Surface networking issue in general since I have strange connection issues whether I use Wi-Fi or not. And I had no luck with a network reset. Fortunately it is very infrequent.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that was a serious response. Microwave ovens, baby monitors, Bluetooth, and WiFi all share the 2.4GHz neighborhood.

Also, choosing a different WiFi channel can often help connectivity.