What's new

Microsoft Surface RT Videos (Reviews, Tips, Apps)

OP
V

vgjfelix

A quick look at the speakers of the Surface RT.

[video=youtube_share;Z4n8i8Athno]http://youtu.be/Z4n8i8Athno[/video]

J515OP

Super Moderator
You will have to redo this video after you install today's update which has been reported to increase the volume.

OP
V

vgjfelix

Mouse over events seem to be a problem for the Surface RT.

[video=youtube_share;lkLN3ix_658]http://youtu.be/lkLN3ix_658[/video]

J515OP

Super Moderator
Unfortunately you have to chalk up the mouse hover issues to poor web design. Not all sites have optimized themselves for touch. It is possible there could be a browser side correction but the browser is just executing the code of the site.

OP
V

vgjfelix

Unfortunately you have to chalk up the mouse hover issues to poor web design. Not all sites have optimized themselves for touch. It is possible there could be a browser side correction but the browser is just executing the code of the site.

That's not quite the case. IE on the Surface deals with this in an usual way. If I try the same thing on, say, Dolphin browser on Android. When I press the 'on event' area it becomes selected and remains on screen so then I can press the buttons or whatever again to trigger them. IE on the surface only seems to have them active when you're pressing them so that's where the problem is. Also IE is the only browser on the Surface RT so we're stuck with it at the moment.

OP
V

vgjfelix

Some basics tips about your touch cover (non-typing)

[video=youtube_share;aWD0Q7yRwd0]http://youtu.be/aWD0Q7yRwd0[/video]

J515OP

Super Moderator
That's not quite the case. IE on the Surface deals with this in an usual way. If I try the same thing on, say, Dolphin browser on Android. When I press the 'on event' area it becomes selected and remains on screen so then I can press the buttons or whatever again to trigger them. IE on the surface only seems to have them active when you're pressing them so that's where the problem is. Also IE is the only browser on the Surface RT so we're stuck with it at the moment.

Well that is an apples to oranges comparison for sure. Android is an entirely different OS therefore the way apps run on it is entirely different as well. Dolphin browser is another piece of the puzzle that adds complexity because it is an independent app on the OS. Were you using the default user agent of Android in Dolphin? Changing to the user agent to desktop definitely changes the way websites respond in Dolphin.

In any case like I said it is possible MS could make a browser side correction but their supposed point of IE was that it gives you a desktop browser experience not an app compromised experience. The funny thing is, some of the best apps on any platform are the custom browsers (Dolphin Mini is my favorite :D) that have popped up to replace the traditional desktop browsers. At some point websites are also going to have to take the touch factor into consideration just like the HTML5 factor. The future is in mobile and touch devices and websites that don't change to facilitate that will eventually suffer despite the efforts of third party browser apps that try and compensate.

At least that's how it seems to me ;)

JP

EDIT: It looks like Google updated YouTube sometime between your post and now. I went to investigate more in Dolphin with the User Agent and now see that YouTube no longer supports the mouse over. Instead they have dropped the Reply, thumbs up and thumbs down permanently below the comment. In the upper right of a comment you now have a drop down arrow for report profile image and flag as spam. I have confirmed the change on IE8, Chrome and Dolphin Mini so it isn't on just one platform or browser. Any how Google has been changing YouTube a lot lately and it seems they have also decided to make the site more touch friendly regardless of browser.

Last edited:
OP
V

vgjfelix

EDIT: It looks like Google updated YouTube sometime between your post and now. I went to investigate more in Dolphin with the User Agent and now see that YouTube no longer supports the mouse over. Instead they have dropped the Reply, thumbs up and thumbs down permanently below the comment. In the upper right of a comment you now have a drop down arrow for report profile image and flag as spam. I have confirmed the change on IE8, Chrome and Dolphin Mini so it isn't on just one platform or browser. Any how Google has been changing YouTube a lot lately and it seems they have also decided to make the site more touch friendly regardless of browser.

Indeed they have change the layout and that issue is no longer relevant on Youtube (I made the video about a week ago so I added something to the description to say it's fixed. But that's one website on the internet. The logic is still going cause problems on many other pages.

vgjfelix

J515OP

Super Moderator
Indeed they have change the layout and that issue is no longer relevant on Youtube (I made the video about a week ago so I added something to the description to say it's fixed. But that's one website on the internet. The logic is still going cause problems on many other pages.

vgjfelix

I agree and can see that it is definitely a problem. I guess it just comes down to whose problem you think it is (browser developers or web developers). Really both sides should take accountability and make the product they are responsible for (browser or web page) work for as many people as possible. If all sites were this proactive http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-general-discussion/2368-website-problems.html there would be fewer issues.

JP

OP
V

vgjfelix

I have found that on a couple of occasions the Windows App store will break and the only option to fix this seems to be... well, watch this video.

[video=youtube_share;jFCCwW9wCZU]http://youtu.be/jFCCwW9wCZU[/video]

mrasmussen

the old restart fix......

Did anyone try to restart the app? Is there a corresponding service for the app store?