What's new

Moving from mac after 10yrs - suggestions for apps etc

79jonesy

Hi,

I have a SP3 on order (I'm in the UK) and went for the i5 256gb 8gb model. Historically I used to use the iLife apps (iPhoto, iMovie etc) iTunes and was wondering what applications you recommend in their place and on the sP3 in general?

I have a 365 subscription and will migrate over to onedrive. I've already starting moving things across from Evernote to Onenote and have uploaded my music from iTunes to Google Play Music as it was free.

I am tied to using google apps for work as we use calendar, email, docs, drive etc.

What apps do people use for -
Music
Photos
Video editing (basic editing)
Email
Tasks
Calendar

Thanks for the help. This may be the first of many questions!!

Len J

Hi,

I have a SP3 on order (I'm in the UK) and went for the i5 256gb 8gb model. Historically I used to use the iLife apps (iPhoto, iMovie etc) iTunes and was wondering what applications you recommend in their place and on the sP3 in general?

I have a 365 subscription and will migrate over to onedrive. I've already starting moving things across from Evernote to Onenote and have uploaded my music from iTunes to Google Play Music as it was free.

I am tied to using google apps for work as we use calendar, email, docs, drive etc.

What apps do people use for -
Music
Photos
Video editing (basic editing)
Email
Tasks
Calendar

Thanks for the help. This may be the first of many questions!!

If your Office 365 comes with the desktop installation of the Office Apps, I's use Outlook for E-mail, Tasks & Calendar and One-Note for Note taking. That's what I do & Love it I think yu can synch your Google apps from work with the Outlook desktop (But I'm not certain)I use ITunes for music and syncing such to my IPhone and IPad Mini

I use Lightroom & PS under the creative Cloud Photographers subscription for Photo editing. I have no idea about Video editing

Len

scfoster

With the Google infrastructure, there isn't much difference any more between the Mac and Windows. Office is Office.
For email, I started using Mozilla Thunderbird (has the combined inbox which Outlook does not support). However email archiving sucks on Thunderbird. This is when Outlook does a better job with .PST files.
OneNote is your friend for nearly everything. Blows the doors of Evernote. It appears that OneNote for Android now supports pen input so for me that was the last thing to put a nail in the Evernote coffin (thank you MS). Take the time to go through as many training videos as you can for OneNote. It truly is an amazing app. I have a tasks page which is my default, for keeping everything synced with my Galaxy Note 3. It syncs to my Outlook.com account.
The one thing I truly miss from OSX is the ability to preview a file by hitting the spacebar. Then clicking the down arrow to tab through files. The preview pane in Win8.1 doesn't even come close.
Being free of iTunes is a joy. Hated it from day one.

Len J

I'd disagree with office for Mac being the same as office for Windows. Office for Mac is at least one generation behind, does not handle excel macros and many keyboard shortcuts that work on windows don't work.

I think going forward, MS should bring them in lone, but for now there are significant differences. Ike

Len

scfoster

LenJ I agree but I was looking at it from the point of moving from the Mac to Windows. There is not less functionality but more on the Win8 platform. So to a migrating Mac user there shouldn't be any missed items.

Len J

LenJ I agree but I was looking at it from the point of moving from the Mac to Windows. There is not less functionality but more on the Win8 platform. So to a migrating Mac user there shouldn't be any missed items.

Sorry I misunderstood...I agree with you completely.

Len

m98custom1212

I use office for everything because well its just the industry standard. I use Copy instead of one drive because I have 50gb in Copy. My school uses Goggle for everything we get 100gb free but the dont like the policy.

I would just use Outlook for Task, Calender and email etc it will work great with Goggle.

VlC player (windows 8) for videos and music.
Video Editing Sony Vegas
Browsers- Chrome, Firefox followed by Opera
Email- Outlook I thought about trying out ThunderBird