What's new

Turn Screen Off Without Sleeping?

ptrkhh

So the SP3's screen can be shutoff when its connected to an external monitor. Maybe create some of windows script that will trick Windows into thinking that it is connected to another monitor and shut off the primary screen. Seems nutty that there isnt a way to shut off the darn screen. Every tablet I know of has this ability.
Maybe try attaching the SP3 into a monitor, then turn the monitor off?
Even better if we could get a cable and short some channels to fool the SP3 into thinking it was connected to a monitor

nipponham

There is a poster in this thread who claims that they can run a desktop torrent program in the background with the monitor off, although they are not sure themselves how they did it. So it's either possible, or someone is mistaken.

_JT

I really don't care for sleep mode so enabled Hyper-V to get the Hibernation mode back. I've pinned Monoff to my taskbar for a nice easy to reach switch to turn off the monitor while I still have my music playing. Works a treat.

GoodBytes

Well as you disabled Connected Standby, my software might be a bit more interesting.
You can turn your screen via a keyboard shortcut, it runs on the notification bar, switches power plans based on if you are plugged it or not, and add media shortcut keys like next track and previous track and volume control.

Oh and if you connect your device to an external screen (or run it on a desktop computer), you can control its screen brightness via keyboard shortcut like a laptop. And yes it supports multiple screens. (Monitor needs to support DCCI/CI protocol - most monitors should support it)

If you are interested:
Download: http://www.nvgpupro.com/powermonitor/PowerMonitor_Setup.exe

I really don't care for sleep mode so enabled Hyper-V to get the Hibernation mode back. I've pinned Monoff to my taskbar for a nice easy to reach switch to turn off the monitor while I still have my music playing. Works a treat.

Nice application! Just tried it on my old laptop and it works! I wan to use it on my SP3 but how do we make sure it's not some kind of malware or trojan?

_JT

Nice application! Just tried it on my old laptop and it works! I wan to use it on my SP3 but how do we make sure it's not some kind of malware or trojan?
Trust in your anti-virus software, I guess at the end of the day if enough people have installed it without issues it should be safe.

_JT

Well as you disabled Connected Standby, my software might be a bit more interesting.
You can turn your screen via a keyboard shortcut, it runs on the notification bar, switches power plans based on if you are plugged it or not, and add media shortcut keys like next track and previous track and volume control.

Oh and if you connect your device to an external screen (or run it on a desktop computer), you can control its screen brightness via keyboard shortcut like a laptop. And yes it supports multiple screens. (Monitor needs to support DCCI/CI protocol - most monitors should support it)

If you are interested:
Download: http://www.nvgpupro.com/powermonitor/PowerMonitor_Setup.exe

Thanks but all I was looking for is an off button. I see yours has "Turn Off Display" as a right click option. Would be great if this was a nice finger size button on the "Display" popup for easy access when using just tablet mode.

GoodBytes

Thanks but all I was looking for is an off button. I see yours has "Turn Off Display" as a right click option. Would be great if this was a nice finger size button on the "Display" popup for easy access when using just tablet mode.
If you look in the settings, you have a keyboard shortcut to make it turn off your screen.
But, I have added the option :)
Get the latest version here: http://www.nvgpupro.com/powermonitor/PowerMonitor_Setup_1.0.exe

Once you install it over the old one, and run it, right-click on the icon on the notification area, and select: Settings.
In there, you'll find under the Display section,
"Make the button next to the brightness slider...", where you pick what the button does. You'll have the option "Turn Off Display".

Click OK, and now you'll have the button next to the slider show a screen turned off icon, and if you hit it, it will turn off the screen.

jaaasgoed

If you look in the settings, you have a keyboard shortcut to make it turn off your screen.
But, I have added the option :)
Get the latest version here: http://www.nvgpupro.com/powermonitor/PowerMonitor_Setup_1.0.exe

Once you install it over the old one, and run it, right-click on the icon on the notification area, and select: Settings.
In there, you'll find under the Display section,
"Make the button next to the brightness slider...", where you pick what the button does. You'll have the option "Turn Off Display".

Click OK, and now you'll have the button next to the slider show a screen turned off icon, and if you hit it, it will turn off the screen.

Sorry to stir up an old thread, but could you possibly build an 32 bit version? I do not have a surface tablet, but a generic 32 bit tablet. It does however have the same problem and I do not seem to be able to find a working solution, so I would like to try your software.

Thank you.