What's new

Turn Screen Off Without Sleeping?

bluegrass

So the SP3's screen can be shutoff when its connected to an external monitor. Maybe create some of windows script that will trick Windows into thinking that it is connected to another monitor and shut off the primary screen. Seems nutty that there isnt a way to shut off the darn screen. Every tablet I know of has this ability.

I've had several others. Thank God the SP3 isn't like all the other tablets.

The app looks great however when I try to turn off the monitor it puts the machine to sleep. I like some of the other features of the program though.

GoodBytes

Ah glad to hear it now works on the SP3.

Can you try this patch:
http://www.helpweaver.com/SystemDLL_patch.zip

-> Close Power Monitor if its running (check notification icons, it could be under the UP arrow)
-> Go where you have Power Monitors files. And backup System.dll.
-> Extract the zip file above, and put it where Power Monitor files are.
-> Start Power Monitor.

Now try the turn off display option. Does it work now?

Thanks for updated file. I did as instructed but when I tried the system ignored the screen off request and kept running as normal. I tried to shut the display off using keyboard shortcut & right-clicking the notification icon and neither worked.

GoodBytes

Oh well.

I was just trying different calls. The call I did was to set the display to low power state, thinking that maybe in Windows 8 with connected standby systems it would turn off the screen and not put the system to sleep. Doesn't hurt to try. :)

You can delete System.dll, and restore back the backup one.

It look like there is no fix for this. Maybe, Windows 10 will allow this.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Unless there is a fundamental change in Connected Standby I don't see this changing....

GoodBytes

I don't really get what is so special about Connected standby, though. If I had a Pro 3 I would just disable it. I mean, do we recall care that the weather and e-mail are updated while the system is at sleep? Just wake the device up from sleep, and make the program fetch the info, no?

I don't know, that is why I would do. But true, I don't have the device so I don't know how it is.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really get what is so special about Connected standby, though. If I had a Pro 3 I would just disable it. I mean, do we recall care that the weather and e-mail are updated while the system is at sleep? Just wake the device up from sleep, and make the program fetch the info, no?

I don't know, that is why I would do. But true, I don't have the device so I don't know how it is.
Yes, as my SP3 is my Office Phone and it adds much flexibility during my workday and in the evening. Personally I wish we didn't have the modified hibernation scheme and just Connected Standby.

But again, I only use Office as a Win32 app and everything else is a MUI App....

jimaiwr

I find this both hilarious and ridiculous at the same time. How can a tablet/laptop, let alone a windows machine made by microsoft, NOT be able to run a simple windows program in the background while the screen is off? Seriously I can't believe that Microsoft would actually allow something like this to even exist. They HAVE to fix this and fix it FAST. I can't download huge files, torrent, listen to music, stream podcasts or download updates without the screen burning out? Come'on Microsoft. Get your act together. Issues like this defer me from buying the next device.... Though I've been a loyal surface customer ever since it came out..