What's new

New 256GB with i5 4200u ?

millerliteboy

Hello all .... New to the forum.

I was just curious if any one has bought a Surface Pro 2 recently (past month or so) and received the 4200 processor? I returned a SP2 64GB (with a 4300) and 'upgraded' to the 256GB version and was quite shocked today when I got home that the 256 had the 4200u in it.

I saw a thread about checking lot numbers before hand but it would have done me no good as the lot number (1402) and model (1601) has shown for previous users that it should have been a 4300u.

Just curious if I am the only one?

benjitek

Not your lucky day :-( This subject already has an extensive history, no need to start another topic -- you should read through what's already here -- other than your recent purchase, not much has changed.

Last edited:
OP
M

millerliteboy

Not your lucky day :-( This subject already has an extensive history, no need to start another topic -- you should read through what's already here -- other than your recent purchase, not much has changed.

Thank you for your reply. As I said, I read a previous thread mentioning the lot numbers (the last post on the 24 page thread was February 10th) so I did do some research before posting this. I was curious on recent findings or was as you put it just "Not my lucky day".

If you could direct me to any recent posts regarding this topic that would be great.

I know this post may come across as condescending but I just would like to know if anyone recently has found this to be an issue.

jamesk

I don't think anyone on here will have an answer for you. I just replaced my Pro 2 at a Microsoft Store and the lot number was 1409. I was told they just got it in a few days before. It had the 4300U processor but the serial number was lower than my original unit. The serial numbers should be I sequential order so The new units serial number should have been higher. It seems like MS making some changes.

Seneleron

I doubt there's any way of really knowing, even in lot numbers. I remember when this was first discovered, it was mentioned that the spec bump was an "unofficial update". The speculation was that there were not enough 4200u processors to meet demands, so the 4300u were substituted in. I don't know if this is the case or not, but if it *IS* then it would stand to reason that they would use whichever chip they could get their hands on during manufacturing. Having no idea about their supply stocks, or how many chips makes a "shipment", it's all more or less a roll of the dice.

kevinlevrone

Still, the 1402 is kind of on the edge, it could go either way. I do have an 256GB 1402 with 4300U CPU. Maybe there are multiple manufacturing plants and some of them did not finish their 4200U batch yet ?

Either way, I would complain to Microsoft about this, maybe they can do something about it.

But such (expensive) purchases should be made with great care and prior thought. I, for one, do not expect any kind of support to my advantage after I buy such a product. From my experience, once you buy an item from a big company, they don't really treat you like a customer but more like an "issue" that will be solved in a very standard way. They don't go out of their way at all, no matter what they are lying on the phone. Their support employees probably just wait for their shift to end and go to the pub...:) However for business-to-business deals, the relationship is different, they respect businesses a lot more, for obvious reasons.