What's new

Solved No Internet

rsa777

Have not used my SP4 for about a month. Fired it up and noticed a message about Classic Shell had to be removed because it wasn't compatible with this version of Windows. So I assumed the was an update of Windows of some sort. Now when I connect to my network I receive a indication that the is no Internet.
I checked the WiFi adapter in devices and it indicates that it is operating correctly. Ran the troubleshooter and it returns various messages: "WiFi doesn't have a valid IP configuration" or "Problem with wireless adapter or access point".
I also tried connecting to Xfinity wifi because it is within range. Still no Internet.
I don't have the USB to ethernet adapter so I can't connect by hardwire to download any wireless adapter updates.
I am at a loss. Pretty expense piece of machinery to fail like this.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have not used my SP4 for about a month. Fired it up and noticed a message about Classic Shell had to be removed because it wasn't compatible with this version of Windows. So I assumed the was an update of Windows of some sort. Now when I connect to my network I receive a indication that the is no Internet.
I checked the WiFi adapter in devices and it indicates that it is operating correctly. Ran the troubleshooter and it returns various messages: "WiFi doesn't have a valid IP configuration" or "Problem with wireless adapter or access point".
I also tried connecting to Xfinity wifi because it is within range. Still no Internet.
I don't have the USB to ethernet adapter so I can't connect by hardwire to download any wireless adapter updates.
I am at a loss. Pretty expense piece of machinery to fail like this.
You can assign a Static IP address to your Surface usually configured like this....

IP 192.168.x.51
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.x.1
DNS 192.168.x.1

Replace x with 1 (or 2 or 3) depending on your router.

Run Windows Update and that should fix it an you can then revert your setting back to DHCP....

Lobo

I wouldn't be surprised if a Windows update put your computer offline. Problems with WiFi have been reported especially with KB3201845.

Unless you want to go ahead with a static IP, the following steps should fix the underlying DHCP trouble:
  • open a command line window with administrator rights
  • type "netsh winsock reset catalog" and hit enter
  • type "netsh int ipv4 reset teset.log" and hit enter
  • close cmd and reboot Windows
  • check your WiFi
Good luck and happy holidays! :)

OP
R

rsa777

Well I found the fix courtesy of MS. The WiFi adapter screwed up.
Fix is simply to uninstall the Marvel adapter then reboot and let Windows reinstall it.
Then all is well.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!