What's new

Solved Num Lock

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll admit I have no idea what you mean or what Razer Naga is.

However one thing I've always wondered about is why there are numbers in the upper left of the qwerty keys with no apparent way to activate them.

I like the Samsung keyboards that include the top row of numbers on them. and yes you can switch to the full OSK but its not the same as its scrunched.

Metalman

You click on the letter you want to use then hit select then copy.
Then you go to word pad and past the letter from clipboard.
If you use the same letters a lot then you can memorize the key combination to insert the letter.

Tiane

yes i tried both those ways ... the first i copied n then after i was on word document i can't figure how to paste it ..i also wrote down the key combination but once again on word document i couldnt figure out how to comand it n apply ... but i did got to the public library and she did her home work on a regualr computer and completed assignment ... but i like to figure out how to do these things on my own computer. :)

Metalman

yes i tried both those ways ... the first i copied n then after i was on word document i can't figure how to paste it ..i also wrote down the key combination but once again on word document i couldnt figure out how to comand it n apply ... but i did got to the public library and she did her home work on a regualr computer and completed assignment ... but i like to figure out how to do these things on my own computer. :)
The key combination to past into word or most programs is to hold down the Control (Ctrl) then press the v key.
In word you can also go to Edit then paste. I like the key combination better.
Like most everything in Windows there is a lot of way to do the same thing, you just need to find the one you like best.

Tiane

The key combination to past into word or most programs is to hold down the Control (Ctrl) then press the v key.
In word you can also go to Edit then paste. I like the key combination better.
Like most everything in Windows there is a lot of way to do the same thing, you just need to find the one you like best.
thank you for your help...i believe i used word pad on my winows 8 and also my yahoo mail... i think going to the library and using the good old standard key board was the easiest option

Landrast

Yes, there is. And I registered for this forum JUST to provide the answer that even Microsoft's TECH SUPPORT couldn't provide me.

Win+R
type: OSK
click: OK

click: Options
check: Turn On Numeric Keypad

click: NumLock

And now after hours of fighting through unnecessary bull**** I can use my Razer Naga in numpad mode without hassle.

EDIT: Why does everyone, including tech support, think that asking for NUMLOCK means you don't know how to type numbers... come on, people.

I just registered on the forum to let Wykkyd know what a bad mofo he is. Now I too can use my Naga! Thanks brother!

MadameD

I bought a numlock bluetooth pad just to insert accents as I teach French and I can't turn on numlock, which is weird because if I use the USB enabled numlock pad it works, but this one won't let me type the numbers. If you put many accents into a document, copying and pasting from character map is a nightmare.

BradF

Yes, there is. And I registered for this forum JUST to provide the answer that even Microsoft's TECH SUPPORT couldn't provide me.

Win+R

And now after hours of fighting through unnecessary bull**** I can use my Razer Naga in numpad mode without hassle.

EDIT: Why does everyone, including tech support, think that asking for NUMLOCK means you don't know how to type numbers... come on, people.
Thank you for a simple and great tip. I HATE it when people reply in these things with pointless replies. I searched numerous forums to find this, and here it is. Now my external numeric USB keypad is working perfectly. THANK YOU!!!

ahighfield

Thank you for a simple and great tip. I HATE it when people reply in these things with pointless replies. I searched numerous forums to find this, and here it is. Now my external numeric USB keypad is working perfectly. THANK YOU!!!
Totally agree, and bumping this again - despite being over 2 years old it is such a simple solution no one knows about and still works for the newest SP4 connected to an Apple USB keyboard....where would we be if you hadn't created your account just to post this! And just to prove it, here I go: 1234567890!!

This is the fix for the num lock issue everyone is looking for...and I have linked back here to spread some of the karma...

ScottyS

Thanks for reviving this thread (so I can add my 2¢).
Don't know if @Tiane is still on the forum and needs help with Spanish homework, or the French teacher @MadameD is still here, but you can add languages in Control Panel/Language but I don't know if you then need to buy a Spanish or French keyboard.

To use special characters, aside from using Character Map to paste them in, when you select a character in Character Map in the lower right corner it shows you Keystroke: Alt+ and then a number. Whenever you want to use that character you just hold down the Alt key and enter the number in a number keypad.☺

Elaine

Win+R