What's new

OFFICIAL I Now Have a Surface Pro 3 i7

mtalinm

swapped my i7 last night for another one. MSFT store tech was insistent mine wasn't misbehaving but still did the exchange to see if another one might run any cooler. so far, not encouraging as during setup I got the thermometer icon and immediate shutdown (which hadn't happened on my previous one).

will probably end up swapping for an i5...ironically, which will cost as much as the i7 given that I bought my i7 on tax-free holiday (saved $100) and using the educator discount (saved $150). the two together add up to the price difference between i5 and i7...

bangsters

hmm..... I have the i7 512gb and I tried playing infinite crisis on it for a few hours with graphics set to high. fps dropped to 16 and back got hot, but the SP3 still ran and not once overheated.

I did a full reinstall when I got it if that helps.

InspectHerGadget

hmm..... I have the i7 512gb and I tried playing infinite crisis on it for a few hours with graphics set to high. fps dropped to 16 and back got hot, but the SP3 still ran and not once overheated.

I did a full reinstall when I got it if that helps.

I just turned my one on and used it. No problems. It sounds like some people just have faulty units as there is no way it should be able to overheat as the CPU will throttle back before being allowed to get that hot.

If you look on Amazon and similar the rate of people with faulty units or ones that they're not happy with would be probably one percent. On the forums though, you hear bad things a lot which means people who get problem units are quick to find a forum to vent their complaints.

There was even one where the guy had detailed measurements about how bad this heat problem was but then on the whirlpool forum, a guy did detailed measurements using the Intel burn in tool. He found throttling did happen to around 2GHz, about what you would expect when you run a CPU thrashing tool. Guess what? No problem with excessive temperatures either.

My take is that there might be a few issues with a few units. Mine runs cool and I've heard the fan twice in several days of usage and the back didn't really get more than warm. Most of the time it is totally silent.

InspectHerGadget

Hi,

Good to hear. It does concern me when I hear people getting problems with such an expensive device.

I love this i7. Aside from sticker shock. I love it.

The pen is better in some ways and worse than others relative to the SP2 but that is the only thing that isn't head and shoulders better on the SP3.

darkyduck

Just got my i7 512GB (Netherlands)

I've been doing extensive research last weeks and I was quite paranoid / anxious for heatproblems and/or fan noise. My surface showed no problems whatsoever *phew*. The 45 updates took approx. 20-30 minutes to install. At a certain point I heard the fan a bit louder (but not near as loud as my Dell XPS15 can be) but it dialed back after some time and. The back got warm to the touch but certainly not uncomfortably hot. All in all very happy with the device but the real (business) proof of the pudding is in the eating coming weeks, but the start is very promising.

Atm 'studying' windows 8 (never used it before), am not hearing the fan anymore, so far so good!!

Last edited:

InspectHerGadget

Just got my i7 512GB (Netherlands)

I've been doing extensive research last weeks and I was quite paranoid / anxious for heatproblems and/or fan noise. My surface showed no problems whatsoever *phew*. The 45 updates took approx. 20-30 minutes to install. At a certain point I heard the fan a bit louder (but not near as loud as my Dell XPS15 can be) but it dialed back after some time and. The back got warm to the touch but certainly not uncomfortably hot. All in all very happy with the device but the real (business) proof will be in the pudding coming weeks but the start is very promising.

Atm 'studying' windows 8 (never used it before), am not hearing the fan anymore, so far so good!!
I suspect any serious issues were just due to particular batches as if you look at reviews for the i7 on Amazon, hardly anything is mentioned of this.

I've had mind for four days now and I have to say I'm really impressed. Even the battery life is noticeably better than the SP2. The only thing I like better on the SP2 is the inking but I'm adjusting to the SP3 now.

I bought a d-Park Handmade Leather case for it off ebay which works out perfectly and the pen clips to the flap. Worth a look.

InspectHerGadget

i7 512GB :D

Although, major wifi and bluetooth issues :/
My one is an i7/256G and it has no WiFi or bluetooth issues or any other.
I do believe though that there are quality assurance issues with this device generally. Harvey Norman a big retailer near us here in Perth said out of 20 sold 2 were D.O.A. and two had battery issues with earthing issues which could cause 'pins and needles' sensation while charging.

I think most people have got good ones but the number of problem ones is a concern.

cemian

Got mine as well so just curious how many of you had or still have that suction cup circular marking towards the center of the screen and what did you use to get rid of it? thanks

Another quirk is when I am using wifi and plug in a usb display adapter ...the wifi cuts out..I have read usb 3.0 devices cause alot of interference in the wifi signal

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I experience my fist problem with limited WiFi connectivity yesterday but a restart of the device sorted it. I'd used a USB3 hub/ethernet connector with no WiFi problems before. (just plugged into a card reader).