What's new

OFFICIAL I Now Have a Surface Pro 3 i7

ynohtna

What monitors are those? I take it they are DP chained?

2xDell U2413. Yes they are daisy chained. This thing has been on for two days, casual work stuff. I do run Hyper-V with an XP VM on it and running now. I mostly have web browsers and office stuff opened up.

Ambient temp currently 26degC or 78.8degF

Fan is on a slight hush sound right now

back of the tablet maxed out at 39.8degC or 103.6degF

GTiceman

2xDell U2413. Yes they are daisy chained. This thing has been on for two days, casual work stuff. I do run Hyper-V with an XP VM on it and running now. I mostly have web browsers and office stuff opened up.

Ambient temp currently 26degC or 78.8degF

Fan is on a slight hush sound right now

back of the tablet maxed out at 39.8degC or 103.6degF

Nice, i picked up a U2412M for real cheap so I am looking at another monitor at least 1920x1200. I used to have a U3012 at my old job and miss it every day. So I take it you have connected standby turned off? I had to return my i7, giving the i5 a try to see how well it does with ym simple day to day. I mainly write contracts, I'm an attorney, but I also need something to encode my goPro video and had some issues with the i7 initially.

ynohtna

I didn't specifically turn off Connected Stand by but I assume it's off from what I read about enabling HyperV.
Historically, I use my laptop as desktop replacements really. Portege m200, Lenovo x200t, Lenovo Helix, MS SP3 now. They just sit there most of the time except for work travel.

I know the Helix used intel connected standby software but I never bothered with it and uninstalled. For me that's what my phone is for (Lumia 920/ now 930) to keep me connected

Ideago

Got mine about a week ago, the 256. It is really an amazing machine and also my first experience with windows 8.1, really liking it! No wi-fi issues, but battery life is only about 3 hours. Hoping for a fix!

mtalinm

well I went to the msft store and they said some of my updates had "faulty installations" whatever that means (and they didn't know why). they resinstalled a bunch of updates by hand, not using windows update, and now both the dock and power cover work properly.

jury still out on crazy spinning fan & intermittent slowdowns, but I'm optimistic.

Jeffrey Walsh

Received my Surface Pro 3 yesterday and was very excited as this was going to be the latest support tool provided to my Service Employees and Customers. Problems right out of the box. I do consider myself computer literate but ended up spending 2 hours yesterday on the phone with Microsoft Support and getting transferred to 4 different departments. I finally gave up and decided to start fresh this morning. Another futile attempt with MS Customer Service. In 45 minutes I was transferred through another 4 departments, 2 of which could not help me yesterday but was transferred there even though I said I had already spoken to them. Multiple requests to speak with a Supervisor were completely ignored. With the most common reply being I will transfer you and you can request a Supervisor then. I am done. Everything is going back in the box and being returned to the Microsoft store this morning. Some of the worst Customer Service I have ever experienced.

FlySwatter

So, you created an account for the sole purpose of complaining about Microsoft's support of your completely undescribed problem?

malberttoo

Received my Surface Pro 3 yesterday and was very excited as this was going to be the latest support tool provided to my Service Employees and Customers. Problems right out of the box. I do consider myself computer literate but ended up spending 2 hours yesterday on the phone with Microsoft Support and getting transferred to 4 different departments. I finally gave up and decided to start fresh this morning. Another futile attempt with MS Customer Service. In 45 minutes I was transferred through another 4 departments, 2 of which could not help me yesterday but was transferred there even though I said I had already spoken to them. Multiple requests to speak with a Supervisor were completely ignored. With the most common reply being I will transfer you and you can request a Supervisor then. I am done. Everything is going back in the box and being returned to the Microsoft store this morning. Some of the worst Customer Service I have ever experienced.

Hi Jeffrey, welcome. Sorry to hear about your bad experience, that's awful.

What were the issues you were having with the unit?

mtalinm

Well my battery drain problems are gone after reinstalling the updates by hand. In my bag for 24 hours and lost only 12%

bangsters

gave my SP1 to my inlaw, then got me the i7 512 and the wife i5 256.

Can't complain. I love it. Wife loves it. Inlaw loves the SP1.

Win for MS on a very well built machine.

Now only issue is my external monitor is 2560x1080, and the 1440 version is like out of reach lol....

darkyduck

@bangsters: What is your view on the (performance) differences between the i5 and i7? I'm still considering both options but I find it hard to justify the extra costs for the i7 model based on my research so far.
I'm interested in the i7 because I work with pretty heavy SQL Server databases and big Excel (powerpivot) solutions.

Kind regards...

malberttoo

@bangsters: What is your view on the (performance) differences between the i5 and i7? I'm still considering both options but I find it hard to justify the extra costs for the i7 model based on my research so far.
I'm interested in the i7 because I work with pretty heavy SQL Server databases and big Excel (powerpivot) solutions.

Kind regards...

Welcome to the forum darkyduck!