What's new

Official I ordered a Surface Book

nogridbag

256gb/i7/dGPU/8GB... I really wanted and possibly need the 16GB, but it's sold out online and it's a bit hard to justify the extra $600. Like you guys, I don't really need the 512GB hd. I'd buy a 256gb/i7 with 16GB for $2300 instantly.

I'm currently using a rMBP 15" and the 8GB is just barely enough for business use for the apps we're building... But the Surface Book is for personal use - I can probably manage with the 8GB.

nogridbag

MS chat representative confirmed that it cannot be ordered from retail stores. But I'm going to stop in and check anyway.

cpap

New guy here. I pre-ordered the 512GB/i7/16GB right in the nick of time... an hour later on Saturday, it was sold out. Im coming off a Wacom Cintiq Companion, so this will be an interesting bump in performance. Just a bit worried about pen performance compared to Wacom. We shall see.

Kid Moe

I've been a SP3 user since shortly after launch and decided to upgrade to SB i5 8GB 256GB dGPU model and placed my order from the MS online store (Canada).

bamaster

Just ordered a i7/512/16 Surface Book on pre-order with a ship date of 5-6 weeks.

It's going to replace my XPS13 (2015). I like it but I really want discrete graphics and 16 GB RAM. I considered the new Dell XPS15, but it's 1 lb heavier than the SB and lacks stylus.

I have a SP3 so there's no real reason to get a SP4. Not much of an improvement to me, the SP3 is already pretty awesome. I like the idea that the SB can use the same power supplies as my SP3.

I have an email from my alma mater so I was able o get 10% off the purchase (basically pays for tax).

Az_Rael

Saw the 7-8 week lead times and went ahead and placed my order for the 512/16GB. I am not looking to actually upgrade my MBA until Christmas, but with those times I decided to place the order now so I get it before the end of the year.

I did buy the MS care thing, although that did hurt at $249. And I ordered the pen tips kit.

Looking forward to my first Surface! I was going to buy a MacBook Pro, but the stylus on a dGPU ultra light laptop totally sold me as a photographer. I am looking forward to seeing some benchmarks.

Dennis Tzeng

Own a Surface Pro 3 and ordered a Surface Book i7 256 8gb with dGPU. Also wish they had an i7 256 with 16GB RAM for less than the $2700 version.

BTW there's now an i7 1TB with 16GB RAM version for $3200.

ADifferentWorld

New here, but pre-ordered mine on the day of announcement, i7, 16, 512, dGPU, this is my second MS product (besides Win OS's and X360) first Surface though, looking forward to it. Was originally planning on getting the SP4, but couldn't pass up the extra graphics power and just all around nice design of the SB. Can't wait!

Last edited:

controlchap

Was lucky enough to get the i7/16GB/512 on Oct 13. The "Email me" changed briefly to a "Proceed" button for a moment. I pressed it, was completing my order, and it told my they didn't have my item available as I tried to complete the order. I would not close that window since it was in my cart. After many retries over about 30 minutes, the order went through.

I consider myself very lucky. My alternate plan was to be at Best Buy before opening on Oct 26.

Nuspieds

Was lucky enough to get the i7/16GB/512 on Oct 13. The "Email me" changed briefly to a "Proceed" button for a moment. I pressed it, was completing my order, and it told my they didn't have my item available as I tried to complete the order. I would not close that window since it was in my cart. After many retries over about 30 minutes, the order went through.

I consider myself very lucky. My alternate plan was to be at Best Buy before opening on Oct 26.
Welcome to the forum and congrats! :D

I've experienced that on other sites for other products and it is so frustrating because finally you get the process started and you think you are in the process of placing and then completing your order, but then you are told that the item is not available! Arrrgggghhh!!! :mad:

I'm sure times have changed since the release of the original SP, but I can tell you that I was amongst those waiting at Best Buy and that experience was a nightmare! I ended up visiting several Best Buys but eventually it was all to no avail and ended up placing the order at the MS Online Store.

On October 6th and 7th, I read enough reviews and comments such that I had enough information and was confident in placing my pre-order for the SB. Based on what I read, I knew that there would be sold-out issues, so I made sure I got my pre-order in fast and early. :D