What's new

Pen Issues: Lines have hooks

Trifaldean

microsoft.png View attachment 4243
Each time I make a stroke with the N-Trig pen, these little lines appear at the beginning and end of the stroke. It happens in all writing applications persistent through restarts, refreshes, reinstallations, etc. I've contacted Microsoft and had the pen replaced and thought I'd chime in here before I send the unit back for replacement.

Any ideas? I haven't seen this issue anywhere else so I'm not sure if there's an easy fix I'm not aware of.

I've attached a screenshot with the problem. It doesn't seem like much but it kills Windows handwriting recognition.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did Microsoft have you do a Refresh or Reset incase reinstalling drivers and software might help?

Otherwise can you submit a handwriting sample on paper for evaluation of hook-in-writing syndrome... its a very rare brain condition. :D

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I notice that the hooks do not all trend in the same direction, or relative direction from motion of the pen. It could be that your handwriting style is not properly respected by the OCR.

Do you write with a slight pause at the beginning and/or end of each stroke; in other words, make contact with the glass, then move, then stop then remove contact? Or do you contact and move in one fluid motion? If you indeed have one fluid motion per stroke, you may have a hardware or software problem.

bluegrass

I didn't notice that he indicated he was having a problem with OCR. I don't see why it is such a big deal unless OCR has a problem with the hooks. I'm sure that is common with hand writing. We need the Frank, expert pen person to see this and thread and comment.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't notice that he indicated he was having a problem with OCR. I don't see why it is such a big deal unless OCR has a problem with the hooks. I'm sure that is common with hand writing. We need the Frank, expert pen person to see this and thread and comment.
Handwriting Recognition is the equivalent of OCR in this case.

OP
T

Trifaldean

Did Microsoft have you do a Refresh or Reset incase reinstalling drivers and software might help?

Otherwise can you submit a handwriting sample on paper for evaluation of hook-in-writing syndrome... its a very rare brain condition. :D
Oops. I'm a bit late to reply to my own forum.

As I said the Refresh didn't do anything so I'm going to do a reset next to see if that works.

Ha, I actually thought it might be just me but it's actually worse in Drawboard so a brain disease is ruled out :)

OP
T

Trifaldean

I notice that the hooks do not all trend in the same direction, or relative direction from motion of the pen. It could be that your handwriting style is not properly respected by the OCR.

Do you write with a slight pause at the beginning and/or end of each stroke; in other words, make contact with the glass, then move, then stop then remove contact? Or do you contact and move in one fluid motion? If you indeed have one fluid motion per stroke, you may have a hardware or software problem.

I use fluid motions just like writing with pen and paper.

What I think happens is that there's tracking distortion leading in and out on strokes- maybe from pressure or maybe because the n-trig tracking is lagging behind the pen tip.

Maybe it's because I'm left-handed :/