What's new

Right click in IE not always working as expected

syarbrou

Like a lot of people I have multiple computers. Recently bought a Surface Pro 3. Trying to use it more and more. I would like to think the Surface Pro is a tabletesk laptop that should work the same. After all my laptop and Surface both have Windows 8 on it. Would think they are the same. Notice one issue I'm not sure how to resolve. Right click in IE. Two scenarios:

1. I have a web app monitoring solution that runs fine on my Win 8 laptop and has right click context menus to manage various items if you select a system. Right clicking on an item pulls up a menu of unique options. Works on the laptop, on the Surface right click shows some kind of small empty box (not the size of the pulldown) with no content in it. Does this with Metro or non Metro IE.
  2. I have an app Paprika. Recipe manager app. It allows you to pull up a website containing a recipe and select items to add as the name, then the picture, then the ingredients and the instructions. The way to add the picture is to right click on it and select copy. Works fine on my laptop, on the Surface doesn't do anything when I right click. This is a non metro app.
Note when I say right click on the surface I'm holding my finger down in the area I am trying to right click on for a second or two to bring up the menu. Is IE out of the box configured in a way that is not allowing this to work? Does the right click method with touch not work the same as with a standard non touch laptop?

Thanks for your input/thoughts.

Steve

Telstar1948

If you're using the touch pad on the type cover with the SP3, you tap the touch pad with two fingers at one time and a context menu will appear in context to where the cursor is located. If you are using touch on the SP3 touch screen, press one finger down on the screen and you'll see a box under you finger. Let off your finger and the context menu will appear in context to where your finger is on the screen. Hope this helps.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are your sites using "Mouse Event" or "Touch Events" to evoke right click? Try using the Pen utilizing press and hold, if that works then the site is using "Mouse Events" and isn't recognizing the touch gesture as a right click.

OP
S

syarbrou

Thanks for the reply but not. With using my finger on the touch screen, as probably poorly originally stated, I've pushed my finger down in the place where I want the right click menu to show. It doesn't work on the Surface so not sure if it's a IE default setting thing or something specific to the surface. I right click all over on my Surface, just these instances in IE it doesn't work.

Steve

Telstar1948

On my SP3, using a mouse I can right-click on nearly anything in IE or other programs and get a context menu. Yours should act similarly.

zhenya

There are certain websites I've encountered that are just not usable with touch/pen only. You have to have a mouse to interact with them. WebEx is a big one.

OP
S

syarbrou

OK so gave this a try. Odd results.

I can't tap and hold to bring up the normal right click context menu.
I can't double tap to bring it up with my finger. Ends up zooming in.
I CAN'T right click with the pen, just shows the little circle and when I remove my finger from the button it does nothing.
I can double tap with the pen on the appropriate area and the right click menu comes up. Well, actually doesn't just bring up the properties screen, but that is part of the right click menu choices I want to get into.
Didn't try a mouse physically but will try that next when I find one to attach.

Does a mouse actually respond differently than the right click on a pen?

Steve

Last edited:
OP
S

syarbrou

Wow that's nuts. Right click doesn't work with the mouse with the surface either in these cases. That makes ZERO sense. Also when the properties screen comes up, I can emulate that as well by double left clicking on the item also so that wasn't some sudo working right click. This kind of stinks and makes no sense. Is this IE? Same as IE on a Windows 8 laptop?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Wow that's nuts. Right click doesn't work with the mouse with the surface either in these cases. That makes ZERO sense. Also when the properties screen comes up, I can emulate that as well by double left clicking on the item also so that wasn't some sudo working right click. This kind of stinks and makes no sense. Is this IE? Same as IE on a Windows 8 laptop?
Yes, same IE...the only difference is the SP3 is high DPI and 3:2 aspect ratio, it is possible that the program isn't tracking correctly. Change the DPI to 100% and test your site app....