What's new

Why does my metro IE save/download files WITHOUT a . separator??

ChrisPanzer

Just noticed this a little bit ago, but say im using a metro app, and within that app I click on a file download link. On the right side, IE metro will pop up and ask me what I want to do with the file. I choose 'save...', and it begins downloading, but WITHOUT the ' . ' separating the prefix from the suffix. For example, it appears as "touchmeapp1_3_exe" instead of "touchmeapp1_3_.exe". So, when the download is completed, it then asks me how I want to open the file, as that extension is unrecognized.

What's going on?!?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
What Metro app? IE? It obviously has a few insects.

Are you running add-ins? You may have malware in the form of a "downloader utilty".

ScottyS

I just downloaded a PDF file using Metro IE and its file name had .pdf extension.

Are you perhaps trying this at work or some other situation were downloading executables (.exe files) is blocked?

nipponham

EXE files are downloading with the conventional names. Something's wrong with the site your downloading from.

nipponham

Um, that is not the TouchMe Gesture Studio site. It's a MS site and the url opens up the app store. And the app is 47.3MB, not 1.5MB.

Are you sure you got the right link?

nipponham

Dude, you're all over the place in this thread. When I click the green download button, I get a regular .exe extension as normal.

Maybe you should take a screencap to show what you're getting.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Okay, I know I am all over the place, sorry. It's just very confusing constantly switching from IE metro / desktop metro / Opera desktop etc etc....

Im trying to install Adblock plus on my METRO IE, as it is already installed on my desktop IE. Now I assume some will say 'it's already supposed to be installed', but the ads are not showing up under desktop IE; and they ARE showing up under metro IE.

Here is a screenie of what happens when I attempt to download this or any other .exe file. See toward to bottom of the screen.
2cot1du.png