What's new

Surface 3 one year later display problem

Plantje

One more question: of the other people experiencing this issue; have you also had it running hot at times? Or noticed that it accidentally switched on during charging?

Sometimes I took the Surface 3 out of my bag (in most cases I think it was on the charger then and as a precaution I put it in the bag rather than just having it laying somewhere) and although the Type Cover was closed the screen was on.

Plantje

And yet you still have the same problem. Based on the pictures you are sure it is exactly the same? You bought your Surface 3 new? Never took the Surface 3 out of the bag to notice the battery was completely empty when you didn't remember leaving the tablet as almost empty?

Plantje

Ok, so the fifth one is on its way to me. And I really hope this one doesn't get the issue again! I think there are three possible causes for this issue:
1) Running hot. This especially happens when accidentally switched on while in the bag. And for some reason, even with the type cover over it, the screen stays on
2) An external HDD that I have in my bag in one of the pockets.
3) Just bad luck. Some devices just turn out to have this issue after a few weeks of normal use. And for some reason in my case it was four out of four.

I would be really interested in what is everyone's best guess based on personal experiences.

I am still in doubt whether or not to put the tempered glass screen protector over it. Since this is the fourth one the protector has been on it is fairly impossible to get rid of all of the dust beneath it.

Plantje

I reaaaaaally hope this one doesn't break as well. Whereas I always had a 64/4GB I now got a 128/4GB. Thank you Microsoft!

So far so good! I will never charge it again and put it in my bag. Still wondering what causes the screen to switch on. It can hardly be an accidental push of the power button. I always have the power button up when the tablet goes in the bag.

Turbo4AWD

Mine is still the same as it was from Day 1. Hasn't really gotten worse or shown up more or anything. Just the same. Will hit one year in August. So far so good minus the other setbacks of having such a low power device. Still considering a Surface Pro 3/4 now that there's another surface product being announced later on tonight. Hope it brings prices down on Pro 3/4's....

Plantje

Thank you for that feedback! I really appreciate it!
Mine definitely got worse. At some point there were some spots showing that looked like some sort of screws perhaps.

Just hope this new one will be the last one. Performance wise I'm happy with it.

Turbo4AWD

...welp, new Surface Pro was just announced with 13 hrs battery life....anyone wanna buy a used Surface 3 with keyboard/pen? lol

kristalsoldier

...welp, new Surface Pro was just announced with 13 hrs battery life....anyone wanna buy a used Surface 3 with keyboard/pen? lol

Yes, but still, the critical advantage the S3 has is the form factor. It is ideally tablet sized, which the new SP is not. And to me this was the biggest disappointment. Hopefully with the release of WoA later this year, MS may field a true successor to the S3.

Plantje

Agreed, I am also a huge fan of the size of the S3. Next to that I understand that all that power of the Surface Pro needs to be paid for, but I still don't really need that. An Intel Core M CPU would do just fine. Even a nice ARM with LTE connection would be nice.
Same as you I hope there will be a great successor for the S3. Atom, LTE, super light and thin and maximum 10.8" screen with extreme thin bezels...

However, given what you can currently get I made some comparisons. If you compare sizes... The SP is only 2 cm longer and 1 cm wider and even 0.2 mm less thick than a S3...

Turbo4AWD

Yes, but still, the critical advantage the S3 has is the form factor. It is ideally tablet sized, which the new SP is not. And to me this was the biggest disappointment. Hopefully with the release of WoA later this year, MS may field a true successor to the S3.

Is it though? A lot of times I feel like I'm using a bit too small of a device. I have used the Pro 4 in the lap and feel it's better than the smaller Surface 3. Also, I don't think I will mind it being a larger device if it's thinner....later next month I will go to my local Microsoft Store and check out the new Surface Pro and see what my thoughts are after checking it out.

Still feel that the extra ram and bigger screen will just improve the experience that much more....