What's new

Surface Book doesn't automatically switch between wired and wifi

Sue Penick

One of the things that has been driving me crazy since I got my new Surface Book is that is does not switch automatically between wired and wifi and back. I connect wired to our network while at my desk to work on Business Intelligence programming and ERP, but when I need to take my laptop to a meeting I undock. WiFi should automatically connect...then when I'm back at my desk and dock, the wifi should turn off and use the wired connection. This does not happen. When I plug back into the dock both the wifi and the wired connection are working with preference to wifi... but the wifi symbol goes away allowing me to think I'm connected wired to the network. This causes issues. Is there a secret setting somewhere to make it automatically prefer wired to wireless unless wired is disconnected?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
This is likely a problem with DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) giving your computer an IP address at work, for example, which is not appropriate after you disconnect. The problem occurs most often when a VPN or DNS server is also used.

To repair, visit your adapter settings, protocol IPv4 and IPv6. You will probably find that they are NOT set to obtain an IP address automatically. Choose to obtain automatically. Connection should be remedied immediately.

Let us know.

MickeyLittle

This is likely a problem with DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) giving your computer an IP address at work, for example, which is not appropriate after you disconnect. The problem occurs most often when a VPN or DNS server is also used.

To repair, visit your adapter settings, protocol IPv4 and IPv6. You will probably find that they are NOT set to obtain an IP address automatically. Choose to obtain automatically. Connection should be remedied immediately.

Let us know.

Great info!