What's new

Surface Book - Enough is Enough - Back to Apple I go.

mcsenerd

By the way... Here is me using a portable monitor with the Surface Book:

image.jpg

The thing is that not everyone is having the same experience you are. I have been using my SB as my daily driver since I picked it up on launch day, and have had only 1 Blue Screen (my 4 year old was drawing on it so he may have done something strange anyway). I have also only had the graphics driver crash 2 times which didn't cause any interruption in my work. Overall mine has been pretty solid for a generation one product.

I personally would not give up on the device. The form factor is perfect for me, and I am loving my device.

The question is why is this acceptable by any standards? One blue screen and two driver crashes is one blue screen too many and two driver crashes too many. If it was one or two people that would be acceptable, but driver issues should have been tested properly before release.

I had way more issues with my SP3 on Windows 10 than I consider acceptable and that's not gen 1. It's something that should have just worked. My El Capitan upgrade on my MBA was flawless. I restart my SP3 at least once a day. I restart my MBA when software requires it which is maybe once a month. Hybrid vs Laptop or not, that is what Microsoft are competing with.

I think Microsoft has lost a big opportunity with both Windows 10 and the Surface Book by treating their customers as a beta testing market for something that shouldn't have happened. My guess is Microsoft would have had a number of Apple converts moving back and with the number of issues, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them just said "$&@# this, I'm going back to Apple". People can say what they want about the iPad Pro lacking functionality, but at the end of the day, functionality doesn't help if your device has to be restarted every day or crashes regularly. I don't accept paying premium money for a device and then having these kinds of issues.

I honestly think Microsoft need to take a serious look at their quality control, maybe fire one or two people who made the dumb decision to release Windows 10 and the Surface devices before they were ready because an on time release with poor quality control does worse for the reputation and the early adopters are normally the biggest advocates of the product. The reason for this is people see the product out in workspace and ask them how it is. If the person says it's buggy and unstable, that's probably the only thing about the device that people will remember because they probably won't ask someone again about it after the release excitement dies down.

joell85

The question is why is this acceptable by any standards? One blue screen and two driver crashes is one blue screen too many and two driver crashes too many. If it was one or two people that would be acceptable, but driver issues should have been tested properly before release.

I think your expectations are a little out of line. I have never had any device that never had a problem. My iPhone 6 plus freezes on occasion, apps crash to the springboard at least once or twice a day. My Lenovo laptop has blue screened more than once. Expecting a high tech device to never crash is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Omni

Windows 10 is a much more complicated OS compared to OSX. It has to support so many different devices and its just silly to expect it to work flawlessly on everything. Although Microsoft quality control should have picked up the graphics driver problem on there own products I think.

mcsenerd

It's the GeChic On-Lap 1502i monitor. I've been using it since the SP1 came out, and it's been great (although the Surface line keeps getting higher and higher resolutions but the monitor is still stuck at 1920X1080). It hooks up via HDMI, which I use a Belkin mini-DP to HDMI converter to accomplish. I do have to use the extra USB power from the Power Supply, but that's only to free up one of the USB ports on the side of the SB for other uses. I could actually use both USB ports from the SB to supply enough juice to power the monitor (The USB connection provides the touchscreen capabilities).

I think your expectations are a little out of line. I have never had any device that never had a problem. My iPhone 6 plus freezes on occasion, apps crash to the springboard at least once or twice a day. My Lenovo laptop has blue screened more than once. Expecting a high tech device to never crash is setting yourself up for disappointment.

But do you have to reboot it once a day. I have to do that with my SP3. I doubt it. Apps crashing is poor app development. Hardware freezing is poor testing.

Windows 10 is a much more complicated OS compared to OSX. It has to support so many different devices and its just silly to expect it to work flawlessly on everything. Although Microsoft quality control should have picked up the graphics driver problem on there own products I think.

How so? Microsoft has control over the hardware and software so there should be less issues than Dell or any other manufacturer has. What we are seeing here is as a result of poor quality control which is unacceptable for a premium device.

I made the decision to roll out SP3's to our consultants because I felt that the experience should be better because Microsoft had control over both, but my experience to date shows that Microsoft keep failing to learn from their mistakes and every SP1 is what the final release should have been.

Omni

Because Microsoft need to support thousands of computer configurations both software and hardware. That's a huge task. Apple on the other hand have hardly any configurations to deal with. Its good that its the new computers that are having the problems in some ways as if it was older computers it would upset far more people.

leeshor

Because Microsoft need to support thousands of computer configurations both software and hardware. That's a huge task. Apple on the other hand have hardly any configurations to deal with. Its good that its the new computers that are having the problems in some ways as if it was older computers it would upset far more people.

So true. The 3 systems I have it running on in my office are getting long in the tooth, (one is an old AMD 240 processor on fast ring), and none of the 3 have had so much as a hiccup.

rjwerth

One would think that of those thousands of configurations, they would be sure the 6 or so they offer with their name on them would be flawless.

robertcan

One would think that of those thousands of configurations, they would be sure the 6 or so they offer with their name on them would be flawless.

Exactly! What possible explanation could there be that justifies delivering this kind of consumer experience on a product where you control both the hardware and the OS?