What's new

Surface computers need software fix to allow the Software Power Shut down to work

robare

Microsoft needs to fix the POWER SHUT DOWN ISSUE with all of their SURFACE products.

I recently purchased a Surface i5 Pro 3 with win 10 pro.

I have a Dell desktop with win 10 , and a HP I7 Laptop, running Win 10 , each computer can be Shut down using a Mouse or touch the pad, without using the Main Mechanical Power Switches.

BUT NOT THE Microsoft PRO 3!!!

If I use the mouse to try and Shut down the PRO 3 , in 10-12 seconds it just REBOOTS!!!

I found that the only way to shut the PRO 3 Down. Is to use the Mechanical Power Button on the top of the PRO 3 and hold it in until the screen turns Black.
There are many Surface users experiencing the same issue. In fact an internet search will provide many many fixes to correct the issue. NONE worked for me! I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to fix the issue, with NO SUCCESS.

Today I spoke to my Son who purchased the original Surface ONE. He mentioned his Surface has the same problem!
WOW he purchased the original Surface in 2012, here we are 4 years later and the Shut Down issue still has not been fixed!

When I got my PRO 3 , It updated automatically all of the Microsoft updates, and I did not install any programs. So the PRO 3 had the normal WIN 10 Stock software. And from day one I could not shut down the PRO3 with Software, I always have to use the Main Mechanical Power ON/OFF switch.

The Microsoft Family of Surface Computer Tablets are expensive, and in my opinion purchasers should NOT be having ANY PROBLEMS, shutting down, sleeping or hibernating

Rob

OP
R

robare

YUP.
When I got my PRO 3 , It updated automatically all of the Microsoft updates, and I did not install any programs. So the PRO 3 had the normal WIN 10 Stock software. And from day one I could not shut down the PRO3 with Software, I always have to use the Main Mechanical Power ON/OFF switch.

OP
R

robare

Hi jnjroach,

I was interested in your post regarding that the Shutdown Issue, you wrote "hasn't been a problem for a long time".

I would appreciate if other PRO3 users would let me know if they are having the Shutdown issues or not.

So if you are a PRO 3 user let me know.

THANKS

Rob

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You say all surface devices, I can confirm that on my sp3, sp4, and s3, all works fine.

shamandgg

I can confirm on Surface Pro (1) everything works as expected and since day 1. Physical power button by default if pressed once puts device to sleep only. To shut it down completely I have always used Start/Shutdown on screen. Pressing and holding physical power button to turn it on, or to force electrical shut down overriding system safe shutdown process.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi jnjroach,

I was interested in your post regarding that the Shutdown Issue, you wrote "hasn't been a problem for a long time".

I would appreciate if other PRO3 users would let me know if they are having the Shutdown issues or not.

So if you are a PRO 3 user let me know.

THANKS

Rob
There were some very early issues (around launch) but I haven't seen this for at least 18 months. I have 2 SP3 devices personally, a S3 and SB.

OP
R

robare

Hello jnjroach thanks for the info.

I am perplexed with the info so far. Only a few posts but it looks like my Pro 3 has not been fixed with all the Win 10 updates. My Pro 3 does indicate that my update is current.!

I am wondering if the issue is my Pro 3 Intel Processor i5 4300U cpu @1.90GHz 2.50 GHz, with the Intel Management Engine interface driver version 3/28/2016 ver 11.0.51189 .

As I still cannot shut down with software still using the ON/OFF switch. I like to know if others are using the same Hardware and versions I am using and are not experiencing the issue?

Thanks all for taking the time to help.

Rob

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine is the same i5, but the driver is actually all the way back from 27/11/2013 (9.5.24.1790)

EHoskinson

I have the original Surface Pro and did have some power down issues initially (years ago). I created a batch file and put a link on the Start Screen. shutdown -s -t 0 I've had no issues since. They may have had a fix but this has worked beautifully for me. I also added a restart link too shutdown -r -t 0

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hello jnjroach thanks for the info.

I am perplexed with the info so far. Only a few posts but it looks like my Pro 3 has not been fixed with all the Win 10 updates. My Pro 3 does indicate that my update is current.!

I am wondering if the issue is my Pro 3 Intel Processor i5 4300U cpu @1.90GHz 2.50 GHz, with the Intel Management Engine interface driver version 3/28/2016 ver 11.0.51189 .

As I still cannot shut down with software still using the ON/OFF switch. I like to know if others are using the same Hardware and versions I am using and are not experiencing the issue?

Thanks all for taking the time to help.

Rob
Which build of Windows 10 are you running? 1511 or 1607? You can find out by running the command winver