What's new

Surface computers need software fix to allow the Software Power Shut down to work

OP
R

robare

Thanks EHoskinson and all others that have been helping me to fix this issue. I will try the Batch file and let you know if it worked for me.
Thanks
Rob

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if something both you and your son installed may be causing the problem. Remove/disable everything in startup or try Safe Mode to see if the problem clears.

OP
R

robare

Hello all,

I tried the Batch shutdown recommened by EHoskinson, and the screen flashes with the Command and nothing happens!
I used this Command >>> shutdown -s -t 0 Not sure of the exact syntax spaces.
Thanks greyfox7 , for that info, when I will try SAFE MODE and see if that works. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Rob

OP
R

robare

Hello ALl,

None of the above idea's fixes worked. So I am returning the PRO3 for a REFUND.

I tried and you have helped with great information , but I give up!

Rob

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Be sure to do a full RESETA before you return it, you don't want to leave any of your data or identities on it.

bluegrass

If I liked my Surface a lot, I sure wouldn't return it because I need to use the power on/power off switch to power off my Surface. I suspect you must have some other things that have affected your decision to return it for a refund.

Have you asked a tech at a Microsoft store to take a look at it? One other thing I would have suggested is to do a manual check for updates. I don't think the automatic updates necessarily pulls in all the updates each day. I have always had my Surface set to automatically do updates but I frequently just for s & g, check for updates manually in the morning after booting up my Surface. Many times it pulls in new updates. I was also puzzled by your statement that it does shut down but automatically boots back up. What's with that, or did I misinterpret what you said? BTW, I have a Surface RT, Surface Pro 2, & a Surface Pro 3 and have never had a problem powering it down by way of software. I don't doubt that the problem exists out there for some people but I've been on the forum for ever and I don't recall seeing a lot of posts about the shutdown problem you're having.

EHoskinson

Hello all,

I tried the Batch shutdown recommened by EHoskinson, and the screen flashes with the Command and nothing happens!
I used this Command >>> shutdown -s -t 0 Not sure of the exact syntax spaces.
Thanks greyfox7 , for that info, when I will try SAFE MODE and see if that works. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Rob

It is shutdown -s -t 0 the 0 is a zero
Try running it first from a command prompt.

OP
R

robare

Hello ALL, Again thanks for all the comments,
I already did the factory reset, that returned the Pro 3 to stock windows 8.1 Pro, and as a last thought.

After the reset, I tired the software SHUTDOWN and, about 10 seconds later it rebooted automatically.

SO BACK IT GOES for a REFUND.

By the way using the ON?OFF mechanical switch for the shutdown, started to cause other issues. When I turned on the PRO 3 using the ON/OFF switch I began to get error messages on BOOT >>>Your computer did not shut down properly, and then the next message was Windows will do an Automatic Repair.

Since my issue may be in the minority of issues. I see no further reasons to continue this thread.

Rob