What's new

Surface Pro 3 Poor material quality

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As far as I know, MacBooks are not painted?

The point being that they painted the sp3 to make it more attractive. Just take a look at the colour underneath the paint, not pretty. And no, macbook is not painted because it is not a magnesium something or other, it is aluminium, a very attractive metal on its own. MS chose their magnesium design for a reason (thermals?) but as a result it required paint to maintain appearances.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The point being that they painted the sp3 to make it more attractive. Just take a look at the colour underneath the paint, not pretty. And no, macbook is not painted because it is not a magnesium something or other, it is aluminium, a very attractive metal on its own. MS chose their magnesium design for a reason (thermals?) but as a result it required paint to maintain appearances.
Still Aluminum is quite unsightly when friction worn. Abrasive zippers or whatever made those marks would mar Aluminum as well.

kundas1

sorry but upon inspecting your first pic, I agree with ctitanic and it looks like your SP3 took a hit.. you can say you take care of your stuff as do I but it's not 100% and there will be bumps that you don't even realize that happens... in my bag I put memory foam on the bottom because a couple of times I put my bag down to hard without realizing and I heard it whacked on the ground... so I was at WalMart and saw those memory foam pillows and they had a sample of memory foam with the pillow and asked the person working in the section for the sample foam if I could have one and since they fall out all the time she said I could have one and I placed it at the bottom of my carry bag and no more banging of the tablet...

OP
N

nalbagli

sorry but upon inspecting your first pic, I agree with ctitanic and it looks like your SP3 took a hit.. you can say you take care of your stuff as do I but it's not 100% and there will be bumps that you don't even realize that happens... in my bag I put memory foam on the bottom because a couple of times I put my bag down to hard without realizing and I heard it whacked on the ground... so I was at WalMart and saw those memory foam pillows and they had a sample of memory foam with the pillow and asked the person working in the section for the sample foam if I could have one and since they fall out all the time she said I could have one and I placed it at the bottom of my carry bag and no more banging of the tablet...

Trust me I know it was not a hit, al corners have the same type of damage it's clearly a problem of the sleeve, I still can't believe they sell it on Microsoft Stores

kundas1

what is your case, and is there any metal on the case? because the material would NOT be able to do that! I don't care how careful you say you are, its just logic there is no way the material can chip paint like that, NO WAY!

OP
N

nalbagli

what is your case, and is there any metal on the case? because the material would NOT be able to do that! I don't care how careful you say you are, its just logic there is no way the material can chip paint like that, NO WAY!
it's the maroo mentioned earlier, well believe what you want I really don't care, other people with the same sleeve have the same problem.

kundas1

well I guess I stand corrected... I thought it was the neoprene material and not the leather material... but in any case according to that link in the other thread it looks like it's the pen loop in the case and not the case itself that is causing the problem...