What's new

Surface Pro 5 Discussion

Orlbuckeye

It's going to be hard to have a larger screen on the SP5 and longer battery life. A larger screen typically means shorter battery life.

Exhile

The length and width of the Surface Pro 3 and Surface Pro 4 have stayed the same. I hope the Surface Pro 5 will have identical length and width dimensions. Would Microsoft sacrifice height to accommodate a larger battery? The Surface Pro 4 is thinner than the Surface Pro 3 by about 0.3 inches. It would be great if the Surface Pro 5 was back to Surface Pro 3 depth so that the Surface Pro 3 Dock would fit the Surface Pro 5. Backwards compatibility of the accessories for all Surface Pro's would be ideal.

Gtfeckner

I really want a bigger screen. 12.3" is a bit tight for some of my work.

And of course, better battery life.

I know this is in conflict with bigger size, but would be great. Since the screen is already impressively sharp, I wouldn´t increase dpi. I don´t see the point in going 4-5K for a device under 13", particularly working with an OS that cannot display old programs correctly in high resolution screens. That would only increase power consumption without really improving user experience (actually it could make it worse).

Yes, I know what you are thinking, and I´m thinking the same...
... maybe a Surface Book 2 could be in my life if they manage to provide more than 3 lousy hours of battery life for the clipboard. But... since I don´t use the keyboard a lot, I´d prefer a bigger Surface Pro.

Time will tell...

And speaking of time...

I want Microsoft to release both Surface Pro 5 and Surface Book 2 four months behind schedule, so THEY can be the beta testers and avoid so much bad press and pissed-off users. SP4/SB2 have been real PR disasters.

mva5580

If they make a 4k screen for this thing, it dang well better be a new sku. Why someone feels a 4k screen is necessary on a 12" screen, I'll never understand. But whatever. I'd have no problem with the resolution getting smaller for the sake of battery life.

As for the SP5 (and really Surface Pro as a whole going forward,) Microsoft needs to either start doing some serious work in making this more of a tablet, or just move on from it and put all their work into the Surface Book. If it can't have solid battery life, more applications/UI elements which provide a much friendlier tablet experience, and just overall better system stability, then what's the point. And seriously MS, enough with not shipping it with a keyboard already. Either drop the price of the devices by $100 across the board, or include it.

I get that there a lot of people who buy this because they NEED it for business applications, but like it or not this thing is compared to an iPad. If they have no desire to convert iPad users to Surface Pro users (and maybe they don't, I don't know,) then that's fine. But if they do, it still needs a lot of work as a tablet. It's a laptop with an optional keyboard.

jrioux

...And seriously MS, enough with not shipping it with a keyboard already. Either drop the price of the devices by $100 across the board, or include it...
Why should MS include the keyboard with Surfaces when Apple doesn't and even charges more for an inferior keyboard?

mva5580

Why should MS include the keyboard with Surfaces when Apple doesn't and even charges more for an inferior keyboard?

If Apple is a company that you're trying to model yourself after when it comes to price....well I doubt I have to say much more beyond that.

Orlbuckeye

Well because MS has more desktop app where it's better to use a keyboard and Apple is 100% modern apps. Modern apps are designed more for touch and desktop apps are designed for keyboards and mouse.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
And if they included the keyboard then lots of people would complain that they are being forced to buy something they don't want. I know plenty who've bought the surface only.