What's new

Thoughts for the next generation dock

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff, DP works with older 1.x HDCP protocol. DP 1.3 is also supposed to be compatible with HDMI 2.0 and the new HDCP 2.2 protocol as well.

HDCP 2.2 is only relevant for 4K content; it is unlikely that any new restrictions will be put in place on HD (720p/180p) content than what is already in place today so there really isn't any blocking issue for DisplayPort.

BTW here are the costs to implement HDMI:
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/terms.aspx
- annual fee $10,000
- $0.15 per unit (discounted to $0.05 if using HDMI logo per provisions, and $0.04 if also implementing HDCP)

And HDCP requires separate payment: http://www.digital-cp.com/licensing
- annual fee $15,000
- $0.10 per unit for key sets (discounted to $0.005 per unit if purchasing 1,000,000 key sets)
The key though is it is supported but optional and many implementations haven't added the said support....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What would be nice, is that if the new dock was actually a quality keyboard that had all the bells and whistles of the current dock. Can keep selling the mediocre typecovers that way, while offering less clutter and more functionality in a legitimate, laptop keyboard typing experience.
The Keyboard dock has been prototyped by the Surface Engineers and rejected every time.... it ain't going to happen at least in the near term.... unless it is implemented by a third party....

surfdock

Jeff, HDCP is technically optional for HDMI as well, but it seems there is a financial incentive for the large market players to implement it with the discount program currently in place. I think there is a word for this sort of behavior that begins with "car" and ends with "tel"...

Given that HDCP payments are made directly to Intel Corporation and the Surface Pro 3 uses the Intel GPU, I wonder if there are any further discounts... I mean can you even license an Intel GPU without HDCP support? Maybe its all built-in to the cost of the Intel chip or something.

But I guess the point is more about the sink device not the source device.

Last edited:

goodintentions

The Keyboard dock has been prototyped by the Surface Engineers and rejected every time.... it ain't going to happen at least in the near term.... unless it is implemented by a third party....
What were the reasons for rejection?

I'm just curious. I've used 3 generations of the Asus transformer devices. I like the type cover a lot more, to be honest.

OP
Z

zhenya

I agree that it seems like there would be a market for a more traditional keyboard that was designed specifically for the SP. I've already had my eye on the portable Thinkpad keyboard but don't really like the idea of carrying a wholly separate device. Something that still attached to the device when not in use, but had much more key travel seems like it would be a hit.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What were the reasons for rejection?

I'm just curious. I've used 3 generations of the Asus transformer devices. I like the type cover a lot more, to be honest.

My understanding based on Panos' statements is that it didn't provide a quality experience and added too much weight if it was to prevent tipping.... keyboard docks are not eloquent and mess with the esthetics of the device. There are many Two and Ones on the market.... none are selling as well as the SP3....

bluegrass

Well there has been a lot of HDMI bashing & not much suggestions on what might be desirable in the next generation MS dock. If I had a display port switching receiver instead of my 5 channel HDMI receiver, I would be s-o-o-l feeding any of my 5 videos devices to the switcher or connecting it up to my 1080p projector. As fast as display interfaces change, HDMI & Display port will probably be replaced by something better in the not too distant future. If nothing else, new designs will sell more of new cables. Without getting into technical comparisons and financial issues in manufacture, HDMI is the most practical way to go right now. A very small percentage of people have 4K monitors and there is next to no content to use it's capabilities right now.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Display Port was at the request of Microsoft's Enterprise Customers....DP to HDMI is easy HDMI to DP not so much....

ptrkhh

Agree, I got a miniDP-to-HDMI adapter for less than €3, the lack of HDMI port is not an issue at all for me.
That said though, I wish TVs and home entertainment systems would switch to DP as well. But, well, Sony...

ptrkhh

My wish for the next dock:
1. Put the same wonderful hinge!
Some of you wish to be able to use SP3's own hinge. I disagree. Lots of people open and close the kickstand 5-10x a day, hence it would be a lot better if we have another hinge for use at the desk, instead of stressing the same hinge over and over again.

2. Move away from the slider mechanism
It made sense in the SP1/SP2 era since we needed ports from both sides, but there should be a more practical, easier solution for the SP3. I would vote for Acer W700-style L-shaped docking station

2. USB Type-C ports
On the tablet as well. USB Type-C is super important for hybrid computers like the SP3, as it allows thinner, sleeker design without compromising flexibility. This is a big thing for Microsoft, and they should endorse it.

3. Multiple mDP ports
I know that some monitors do support daisy-chaining, but remember that some other don't. It doesn't make so much sense to replace a perfectly-working monitor just because it doesn't support daisy-chaining.

4. GPU support
As the SP3 is targeted for students, the kind of people who, beside study, also play games with intensive GPU usage, I would say that GPU support would be a killer. That would save us from buying separate PCs, managing multiple PCs, since we can just buy a $300 gaming GPU to play games better than $600 desktop PCs. Students are not going to pay $200 for a docking station, but they would definitely buy it if it could provide financial benefit over a separate desktop PC or gaming laptop. That alone would greatly expand the userbase of the docking station. And this is not just gamers, this is also important for 3D CAD designers, and other people with cool jobs that happen to love the Surface Pros

Minor requests
1. Front ports
Two or three USB ports and a multicard reader would be really handy.
2. Silver color?
The tablet got a new color, but the docking station didn't. Why?

OP
Z

zhenya

I really like the sliding mechanism. Now that I'm used to it, it's by far the easiest docking station I've ever used. Most others require a bit of fiddling to get everything lined up.

While I wouldn't mind an extra mDP out on the dock, my displayport hub seems to be working fine to keep my old monitors going, even if it was an extra expense.