What's new

Thoughts for the next generation dock

Dude

I'd be happy if the current dock were less annoying to use. In my case the SP3 may or may not actually make contact with the connector when the SP3 is placed into the dock. Three out of four times it requires me to give it an extra push to the right even once the unit is in the dock. Seriously, wtf.

Also, I wish someone would make a vertical dock option where the SP3 could slide in in portrait mode and just be out of the way. In my office setting I do not need the SP3 accessible as everything is external.

OP
Z

zhenya

I had a little bit of trouble with the dock until I really figured out how it is designed to be used. With two hands pull the two sides left and right to maximum extension. Place the Surface in the center of the dock; there are cutouts at the base of the dock to facilitate it catching in the right place. With both hands close the dock around the Surface evenly. Now that I do it this way it is by far the best 'laptop' docking station I've ever used in terms of getting it latched in first time every time. (I've done a ton of docking cycles trying to figure out the best screen resolution/scaling factor this week). If yours doesn't work reliably with this method perhaps it is faulty?

kwright

The main thing I'm after in a dock is compatibility with a good case like the urban armor. I have zero use for an integrated keyboard: Use a Dell Bluetooth unit while in the dock and fold the surface keyboard up (using a touch screen monitor).

The idea for front mounted ports in addition to those in the year is a great concept.

Dude

I had a little bit of trouble with the dock until I really figured out how it is designed to be used. With two hands pull the two sides left and right to maximum extension. Place the Surface in the center of the dock; there are cutouts at the base of the dock to facilitate it catching in the right place. With both hands close the dock around the Surface evenly.

Dude, I had no idea that the dock even opened up like that. Now that I know that it's actually quite good. Thank you!