What's new

To Be SP3 Owners

bamaster

Follow up question... has there been any word that Microsoft is giving away 200GB of OneDrive storage (and free Skype year) as they did with the SP2?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Just preordered the 512 i7, and a black cover.

Though previous covers will still work, they will not completely cover the screen (1/2 inch on each dimension short).

Last edited:

demandarin

I've looked up some comparisons between the i5-4300U and the i7-4650U with both the HD4400 and HD5000 respectively. I was also considering getting the i7 because of the HD5000 GPU until I read somewhere (I can't find it now -_-") that even though the HD5000 can handle graphics better (having 40EUs vs 20EUs), the higher demand of the GPU on the CPU causes throttling, which results in lower CPU performance. That's what helped me to decide on the i5 (plus the fact that the i7 is another 400 bucks more ex over here in Singapore). Here are some links depicting other performance stuff though. Maybe it'll help you guys to decide if it's worth the extra cash.

i7 vs i5
Intel Core i5-4300U vs i7-4650U

HD5000 vs HD4000 by AnandTech
1. AnandTech | A Look at Intel HD 5000 GPU Performance Compared to HD 4000

I pre-ordered an i5/256GB with a Purple Type Cover. If I find the article/forum discussing this I'll share the information here. Just can't seem to find it again...

EDIT: It was someone on this forum who read something on reddit. It's in this thread (http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro-2/6084-surface-pro-2-gaming.html) and at post #8. Reading it again though, they may have been talking about the i5 with a HD5000 and the CPU having a low performance may not be an issue with the i7 processor. I'm not sure though. What do you guys think? I'm still not so sure it justifies me spending another 400 bucks on the SP3 :/

Thanks for the comparison links. Looked at all the others also. IMO, for my needs, the i7 doesn't have a big clear cut advantage over i5. Even the gpu differences are negligible. I'm leaning more on an i5 version now.

The only thing that gets me is the possible Broadwell bump in a few months. Migjt be smart to wait and see. My pro1 has worked great for me so far. If the bump to next generation broadwell comes, it will likely ne right before Christmas. I just hope I can hold out that long to see.

When I got my pro1, it was only a month later pro2 was announced and released. Plus I was past my return period. I stayed up on tech news and pro2 announcement came out of nowhere so suddenly. So ill be damned if they get me like that again..haha

Pro3 is a sexy machine. Truly amazing how its same thickness as an iPhone 5, yet a full fledged PC. My b-day coming up and I really want a pro3. We will see how long I hold out for. Anxious to see reviews and performance benchmarks once this gets in the masses hands. Plus once Anandtech does a full blown review of it.

EMINENT

I was close to doing the pre-order, but now i'm glad I didn't.

Although i'd like an i7, I don't see the need for it. Especially if they plan on releasing Broadwell towards the end of the yr. It'd be money spent wasted for little return when resold.

I might just get the i5, 128 if I can't wait. Probably even consider i3 since I plan on turning around and getting the upgraded one in 6-12 mos. I'll save some money now and splurge for the big boy when they can deliver an i7w/HD5000 that's fanless, thinner, lighter, and longer battery than 9hrs.

apkapkapk

Thanks for the comparison links. Looked at all the others also. IMO, for my needs, the i7 doesn't have a big clear cut advantage over i5. Even the gpu differences are negligible. I'm leaning more on an i5 version now.

The only thing that gets me is the possible Broadwell bump in a few months. Migjt be smart to wait and see. My pro1 has worked great for me so far. If the bump to next generation broadwell comes, it will likely ne right before Christmas. I just hope I can hold out that long to see.

When I got my pro1, it was only a month later pro2 was announced and released. Plus I was past my return period. I stayed up on tech news and pro2 announcement came out of nowhere so suddenly. So ill be damned if they get me like that again..haha

Pro3 is a sexy machine. Truly amazing how its same thickness as an iPhone 5, yet a full fledged PC. My b-day coming up and I really want a pro3. We will see how long I hold out for. Anxious to see reviews and performance benchmarks once this gets in the masses hands. Plus once Anandtech does a full blown review of it.

I decided to just stick with my pre-order of an i5. The i7 is probably only gonna make a difference in performance if I use certain programs that require much more processing power. The HD5000 isn't that much of a jump from the HD4400 either so that's that. I know people are talking about Broadwell being right around the corner and all but I think I'll just go with the i5.

Trackzilla

ordered the i5 128 & purple type cover (wanted a color that not everyone would have). I've been trying to find a case for it, but of course it's too new...I'm hoping for something like the Incipio Capture in a Surface3 size...
My unit will be for concert audio system control, so it'll have a more interesting & dangerous life than your average office living machine ;)

Related: if Microsoft is interested in advertising concept, little could thumb a nose at those who believe the other OS rule media & fun as effectively as showing a Surface controlling an entirely Windows based pro concert system, with capabilites other systems cant equal and software that runs ONLY in Windows...happy to demo that any time ;)

bamaster

Follow up question... has there been any word that Microsoft is giving away 200GB of OneDrive storage (and free Skype year) as they did with the SP2?

Bumping this question. I haven't heard about OneDrive with the SP3 yet. Any thoughts?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Bumping this question. I haven't heard about OneDrive with the SP3 yet. Any thoughts?

None of the reviewers mentioned it and Panos didn't say anything at the Keynote, so I doubt this round has the offer. Officially we'll need to wait until someone receives a shipping unit.

Sorry I'm not a huge hardware techie, but what are the advantages of the broadwell over the haswell? I did a quick search and all I really saw was a claim for a 40% gpu performance increase. I would be using this for photoshop, VPN into work computer, email websurfing, microsoft office and that's about it, no gaming. Would I really notice the difference for what I intend to do or does it really only benefit gaming? Again sorry, not a huge techie.

Odyssey

Has anyone else pre-ordered the red Type Cover 3? If so, does you status say "BackOrdered" on your account?

ximoosea

Has anyone else pre-ordered the red Type Cover 3? If so, does you status say "BackOrdered" on your account?

Sure enough...I ordered a red one on the first day of pre-orders....in fact, just an hour or so after it was opened up. Your message prompted me to check and the type cover says backordered whereas the Pro is "In process". Can others that ordered different colors please check and see if this is unique to red or if it is true for all type covers?

Hopefully, they get it sorted out before the 20th. Even though it is backordered, it does still say shipping by the 20th.

Last edited: