What's new

Touchscreen Calibration problem?

bulls96

I have been noticing some dead spots on my touchscreen recently. And I really didn't mind it before. But today, the upper left portion of the screen (landscape w start button on right) started not responding. I was cleaning up my email and I could not change the "All" to "Unread". With the touchpad there was no problem.

Then I went into fresh note and definitely saw an area on the upper left side that would not mark out.

I rebooted...

THen that upper left side started responding. But initially it would also mark/ink on areas I did not touch (but close to the point of contact on the screen)

Anyone else having this issue? Is this a calibration issue? A RAM issue? A screen protector issue?

THanks!!

ctitanic

It may be a calibration issue.
Capture.JPG

ipaq_101

I have a screen protector on and there is no calibration issue, if you are using one, which one?

I haven't had to recalibrate my screen at all, try Frank's suggestion and see if it solves the problem. If not, maybe try to remove the screen protector (if you have one on) and see if that is the problem. That can help narrow down if there is a true issue with your screen.

mohcho

I wasn't having any issues with my screen UNTIL I reset the calibration and recalibrated it. I don't have anything on the screen and it was working perfectly before.

I can't close metro UI apps by swiping down from the top of the screen with either the pen or using my finger. I have to use my mouse or the touchpad to go to the top of the screen and then the menu bar appears to close them. I recalibrated several times, and rebooted several times but the same result.

It looks like there's a 1/4-1/2" area at the top of the screen (in landscape mode) where the screen isn't registering the touch.

Any thoughts or help?

ipaq_101

Calibration can be very tricky, you have to have the machine on a completely flat surface or it can mess up Calibration.

Maybe try to redo it one more time, on a completely flat and level surface?

Worst case call support and see if they have any tricks.

mohcho

It has to be flat? I calibrated it while it was upright. I'll try again and post back updates. Hope that was it.

OP
bulls96

bulls96

So I did the calibration... but

My ability to bring up the charms by swiping from the right was lost.

I reset the calibration and charms bar started working again.

SO just a warning on that tip.

mohcho

Ok, I did that and it actually got worse. I reset the calibration have done it several times and rebooted and same thing. This is how my screen is working now. :(

So the pen works fine, but the touch input only works on the top and bottom half of the screen. There's a dead area across the entire middle/top quarter of the screen. I have attached some screenshots.

I still can't close metro apps. This is very annoying. Everything was working perfectly until I calibrated the screen.

Attachments

• Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1,463
  • Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 1,448

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I did that and it actually got worse. I reset the calibration have done it several times and rebooted and same thing. This is how my screen is working now. :(

So the pen works fine, but the touch input only works on the top and bottom half of the screen. There's a dead area across the entire middle/top quarter of the screen. I have attached some screenshots.

I still can't close metro apps. This is very annoying. Everything was working perfectly until I calibrated the screen.
Reset the Touch Calibration and don't try to recalibrate it... I have found on all Windows 8.x/RT Tablets that Calibrating Touch breaks it....

Bandito

It might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the touch screen driver in Device Manager, but I'd give Surface Support a call and let them walk you through their troubleshooting tips, as it could be a hardware failure. The likelihood of it being a hardware failure along with your initial recalibration attempt would be pretty low, I would think, so it's probably just some sort of configuration issue.

mohcho

Reset the Touch Calibration and don't try to recalibrate it... I have found on all Windows 8.x/RT Tablets that Calibrating Touch breaks it....

I already tried that. Same deal. So stupid how right now there's a band that doesn't respond. I'm wondering if it's Windows that broke the calibration or is it something else?

It might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the touch screen driver in Device Manager, but I'd give Surface Support a call and let them walk you through their troubleshooting tips, as it could be a hardware failure. The likelihood of it being a hardware failure along with your initial recalibration attempt would be pretty low, I would think, so it's probably just some sort of configuration issue.

Which driver? There's a Surface Pro Touch Controller Firmware or the HID-compliant touch screen. I attached a screenshot of it.

I even reinstalled the N-TRIG update from June. I'll remove it and reboot and reinstall it manually.

I removed the system update from last week as well, and the same thing.

Attachments

• TouchScreen.JPG
    TouchScreen.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,771

Bandito

I'd start with the Touch Screen itself, first. Then, if that doesn't work you could try the firmware.